1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Moving Day: 1HP at -30-

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, May 16, 2013.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Hey, mistakes happen. On the Herald alumni Facebook page, which totals 1,992 members at this writing, some miserable prick (uh, me) pointed out the original obit said of the building, opened in 1963, "She was 60." No offense to Ellie, who has to be among the best writers ever to work there, but you can take the boy out of the Herald sports desk, but you cannot take the Herald sports desk out of the boy.

So I imagine you can't take the Herald out of the peeps moving to Doral, either. From what I'm reading on FB, people are sad for the end of an era, but the new digs kick ass.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

And nitpicking between whether or not it was a "typo" or "error" is worse than the actual mistake itself.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

No. A typo is a keystroke mistake. Shit happens, etc.
    An error is a factual mistake, and this one is a glaring error.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

My assumption here is that you intended to use blue font.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Frank_Ridgeway

I will say that it's extra sad when a building -- made of bricks, etc. -- is deemed obsolete and it's a few years younger than you are.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

When the Rocky Mountain News moved into the same building with the Denver Post in 2006, there was a lot of sentiment and emotion. I had only been there a couple of years and didn't quite have the attachment to the place, but the new place was for the most part, pretty damn cool. And was all the way up to the end.

8. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I give the nod to vacant amusement parks.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Vacant and abandoned ballparks are also very creepy, and sad.

Few years back, I posted some pics of a burned-out Shibe Park and a rotting Roosevelt Stadium in NJ. Very depressing, although I'd imagine they'd be kinda cool to run around in.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

A year after it had served as a Class AA Eastern League ballpark, I covered some high school baseball there. I was 19, first full-time job. In my recollection, no one was sitting in the 24,000 seats, which were covered in bird crap, given the ballyard's bayfront location. I know I sat on the grass, which was cleaner, and kept my scorebook. I thought it was cool. Disgusting but cool.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

This has been a very creepy time for me in terms of newspaper buildings being closed. The Philly Castle that used to be the home of the Inquirer and Daily News, and now 1HP. Strangely enough, Philly and Miami were Knight-Ridder stables of excellent journalism. Mile High said it best, the view from the fifth floor overlooking Biscayne Bay was incredible.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The Indianapolis Star just sold its building, too. It's going to be a mixed-use development named after the owners that sold to Gannett. The newspaper had been at the site for 106 years, though the current building isn't nearly that old.

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/5f44fddf7f31452584f683b18727ce4c/IN--Indianapolis-Star-Building-Sale

I would presume the Chicago Tribune will try again to sell Tribune Tower once the office market picks up again, unless the landmark status doesn't prevent someone from converting it to apartments.

Draft saved Draft deleted