1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Mother's Tortured Journey: WaPo story on the Baylor basketball murder

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cadet, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

It's been five years since Carlton Dotson shot Baylor basketball teammate Patrick Dennehy. This is a good reader from the perspective of Dotson's mother. Stick with it to the end.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/21/AR2008062101871.html?hpid=topnews&sid=ST2008062101601

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Um, it's Carlton Dotson, not Colton.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

And, um, that story is damn good.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Sweet. Lord.

I was all into it, following it, loving it...until the last five grafs when my stomach just dropped.

Insanely good.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wow. Well done doesn't quite describe that piece.

Thanks for sharing, Cadet.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

mike wise rocks. 8)

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Gets back to what I said on another thread.
    Give me something to read, please.
    The Post does it as well as anyone.

8. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

A Reader's Tortured Journey: The Washington Post and rockin' Mike Wise finds another grieving/estranged mother to write about.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Wow. Well written and all, but I'm not sure I would have touched that one with a 10-foot pole. Mom, like son, is clearly not mentally stable. Touts all these conspiracy theories, then blurts that out at the end because the place doesn't look like Dotson told her it did? I'm not even sure what that means. Damn. F'd up.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

What I like about this: I'm glad they didn't cream themselves over getting the jailhouse interview with Dotson. Could have easily led the piece with that, but they didn't let it distract from the article. (I say "they" meaning Wise and his editors.)

What I didn't like: No mention of Dave Bliss' shady, shady involvement with this situation that ultimately cost him his job. Mom called out Baylor and Waco but didn't call out Bliss. Having lived through the media coverage of the story, I felt the circumstances as presented in the story were oversimplified. I also didn't get a sense of how long the drama played out, because there were several days from Dennehy went missing to Dotson confessed.

That said, hell of a read. Great details (like the Amish stepfather) that will stick with me for a while.

11. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

It's the early favorite, I'd say, for best sports feature in the 2008 APSE contest. It's also the early favorite for best sports feature in the 2009 contest. Seriously, it'll be interesting to see who rewrites it. Maybe they'll quote from Mike's story and none of the judges will notice (because the paper umbrellas in their pina coladas will be blocking their view).

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

It's an interesting story that I think is tremendous left as-is. Yeah, there are questions that linger, but I don't think any input from anyone else is necessary. What, for example, would Dave Bliss add to the story (though we know he wouldn't talk)? By blaming the university, I understood the whole thing to mean that she blamed the basketball program as well.

With regards to Dotson's mother, the fact that she's not mentally all there is detailed enough and understood to be part of the story. Yeah, she's not speaking fact. No kidding. She's on medications and has a troubled past and has been dealing with depression and poverty all her life. But again, that's understood in the story. It doesn't need to be emphasized more.

I think it's a great read with a strong ending. A nice job here.

Draft saved Draft deleted