1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A mooving experience you don't see every day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by slappy4428, Nov 6, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Cow falls onto Westland couple's minivan in Washington

November 6, 2007

By ASSOCIATED PRESS

MANSON, Wash. -- A Westland, Mich., couple celebrating their one-year wedding anniversary in Washington State barely escaped disaster when a 600-pound cow fell 200 feet and landed on the hood of their minivan.

The county fire chief says the couple were lucky they weren't killed by the cow that fell off a cliff as they drove on a highway on Sunday.

Charles Everson Jr. and his wife Linda were checked at a hospital as a precaution.

The van was heavily damaged, including a broken windshield.

Charles Everson says he kept repeating, "I don't believe this. I don't believe this."

The cow had been reported missing by a breeder. It was euthanized at the scene.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Wow, an utter disaster.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Or is it an udder disaster ;)

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Fortunately, it's flat where I live, otherwise that'd be happening almost daily.

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

[​IMG]

I've seen pictures of cows on milk cartons my whole life... I never realized it was because they were missing...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The cow doubtless was suffering from altitude sickness.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

There's an Auburn joke in here somewhere.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

update...

Cow falls onto Westland couple's minivan in Washington

November 6, 2007

By BEN SCHMITT

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

When a 600-pound cow tumbles 200 feet off a cliff on to your minivan, you aren’t really thinking about auto insurance.

At least Charles Everson Jr. wasn’t.

Advertisement
    “I’m just glad to be alive,” the 49-year-old chauffeur from Westland said from his hotel Tuesday in Manson, Wash. “It’s raining cows out here, man.”

Everson and his wife Linda, 39, were in Washington celebrating their first wedding anniversary when the 1-year-old rodeo stock cow landed on the hood of their 2006 Buick Terraza. The couple had just left a nearby church service and were traveling along Highway 150, near Rocky Point on Lake Chelan, about a mile east of Manson.

“I saw something hit and heard a ‘Wham!’ It happened so fast,” Charles Everson said. “I actually thought it was a deer.”

Miraculously, Everson kept driving.

“All of the sudden I’m looking at it, and I tell my wife, ‘It’s a cow,’.” he said. “I kept saying: ‘I don’t believe it.’ I must have said that 20 or 30 times.”

Everson pulled over about a mile down the road. The minivan had extensive damage to the hood.

“I wasn’t really thinking clearly and then I realized that I better pull over,” he said.

Rescue crews took the couple to Lake Chelan Community Hospital for precautionary reasons. On Tuesday, Everson said he and his wife were fine.

“It was just a matter of inches,” he said.

Sgt. Mike Harris of the Chelan County Sheriff’s Office said Tuesday the animal, which had to be euthanized after the crash, was a Professional Bull Rider-registered cow.

“It was bred for rodeo,” Harris said. “It was not your normal cow in a field.”

A breeder had previously reported the cow missing, Harris said.

Everson said the breeder was extremely apologetic.

“He called me and said it had escaped from his ranch about a month ago,” Charles Everson said. “He really felt bad.”

Now, the couple is trying to figure out a way to get back to the Detroit-area. They had driven the Buick out west last week.

“We came out here for relaxation, a quiet time,” Everson said while laughing. “You could say this doesn’t happen every day.”

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And on top of that cliff, a few other cows were laughing their tails off...

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Maybe the cows were playing chicken.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And there was a sheep going, "No, he didn't mean 'If you jumped off a cliff, but if ewe jumped off..."

Draft saved Draft deleted