1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A moment of Sunday thought...then and now

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Oh. And the unemployment rate for all of 2007 was 4.6% as well, so that sort of sinks that point. It didn't go up until last month. But what does the Bureau of Labor know? You've got an email chain letter in your corner.

http://www.bls.gov/cps/home.htm

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I knew it was a mistake to open this thread. Now, having read through it, I think I'm actually dumber than I was a few minutes ago. I can feel my brain oozing out my ears. I should have known better.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

And there is the small point that people on these threads (not just the person who started it, but many of the people who respond arguing with him) don't understand. Economic cycles usually have little to do with the political parties in the legislature or executive office, and even if I am wrong about that, economies move like guys on rollerblades who don't know how to start and stop. No legislation enacted within the last year has had any effect on what we are seeing right now, which has been YEARS in the making, just as no legislation really had much to do with the unprecedented period of economic growth we saw throughout the 90s and 00s.

Just like the out-of-control guy on rollerblades, economies roll for a while before slowing down (or being able to turn course and gain speed), so whatever policies you think the Democrats or Republicans did in all their short-term genius (or whatever idiocy you think the party you dislike was responsible for; or whatever partisan nonsense you believe), there is little government legislation can do to have a short-term effect to cause a recession. Economies are cyclical. We can't control the cycles. And even though government policy can have an effect on an economy, recessions and periods of growth occur regardless of government policy -- often we will get growth in the face of BAD government policy.

So attributing good times or bad times to a political party is absolute nonsense.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, don't know if this is true. But also, maybe you (or if not you, someone else) wouldn't have clicked on the thread if it had been titled in a more straightforward way.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Agreed. "Mindless, Fight-Provoking Drivel" is a title that would have certainly kept me away.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Seeing the name of the poster who started this thread should've been warning enough.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Except that your graph shows gas being at $2.19 or below in the first month or two of 2007, right about the time Pelosi and the band of idiots were sworn in from the Nov. 2006 election.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Somebody please tell me what Congress has to do with the price of gas?

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Can you tell me what the president has to do with the economy?

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Better than that. I have a gas station just around the corner. I'll trust that before I will a bureaucratic burp from a political waste-of-my-tax money dollars.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Whne he's running the largest deficits in history and pissing away billions of dollars for an unnecessary, unwinnable war, I'd say his policies have something to do with the recession we're in.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You should feel good. You and I both know for a fact that we're a lot smarter than someone on this thread. And that's always nice to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.