1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A moment of Sunday thought...then and now

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Nice email sent me this morning. Whether you agree makes no difference to me, but facts are facts.

AMERICA ASKED FOR A CHANGE

A little over one year ago:
    1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
    2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
    3) The unemployment rate was 4.5%.

Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006 we've seen:
    1) Consumer confidence plummet;
    2) The cost of regular gasoline soar to over $3 a gallon;
    3) Unemployment is up to 5% (a 10% increase);
    4) American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate (stock and mutual fund losses);
    5) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $1.2 trillion dollars;
    6) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.

America voted for change in 2006, and we got it!

The most significant accomplishment by the Democratic controlled
    Congress in 2007:

THEY VOTED TO INCREASE THEIR PAY !!!!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll only say this: If that was where consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 yr high, think of how low it had actually fallen.

Am sure that none of these problems were inherited, right? Just like the GOP said it inherited all the economic woes at the beginning of the first term, because the economy was already on a slide under Clinton? (It was, but you can't have it both ways.
    Perhaps the problem isn't the Democratic Congress but the Republican in the White House?

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Oh wait - but no one here is acknowledging the fault of Clinton passing on economic woes to Bush. So why should we blame Bush for what change during the Pelosi era?

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Of course, most (if not all) of that would never have occurred If the GOP hadn't spent most of the past decade confidently running the ship of economic state aground.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

That's right. Utilize the "victim" approach. Poor Nancy is just helpless as Speaker of the House.

It happened in the last year. That midterm revolution was supposed to save us.

Hell is also not anywhere near freezing.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

No. It was just supposed to stop the war and possibly investigate widespread GOP corruption the previous six years.

Any salvation, if it were to come, was never going to come before Jan. 20, 2009.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well, then I say they've still failed.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

They have. But this current breed of Republican is a vile, elitist bunch of warmongers who have so alienated so much of the country it won't matter. The Democratic congress has definitely failed. Most Republicans in the administration and in congress have betrayed nearly everything this country was ever built on, and their followers happily cheer it on like the pieces of shit many of them are.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well then, we're all certainly applauding the current presidential campaign like it's a new reality TV series.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The problems you listed can be traced to the 2000 and 2004 elections.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've got a shitload more confidence that the Democrats will do a lot better than the GOP did the first six years of this. They won't be perfect and they'll do some things that upset me. But they can not do any worse. Our Pharisee in Chief has not only been the worst president ever, he may be one of the worst so-called Christians ever too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.