1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Mission Statement To My ME

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MyAlterEgo, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Widow

Widow New Member

Echoing the majority of responses.

Very, very rarely does going over your immediate supervisor's (whether you're in a union or not is not relevant...he's the SE, you're a reporter, and he's up on you in the organizational chart) head work out to your benefit. I've seen many a good-intentioned attempts made and it usually ends up really bad.

You admit you're young, relatively new to your shop but want to stay there for awhile. The best way to ensure that you will is to keep yourself in line, follow the chain of command, and not try to sabotage your job by implying you have the best solutions and it's time to adapt them....after being there just one year.

Good luck and keep us updated!

2. agreed

That said, you can still bend peoples' ears about your ideas when you have the chance. Just do it in a productive, positive way that doesn't make it seem like you're blasting the way they do things now. And don't hammer people on the head with it. Just make good suggestions in a positive way. It's tough when you're young, I know. You come into a place and they're a generation behind the times and you want to tear it up and teach them the right way to do things. But unless you go about things the right way, you'll not only decrease the chance of your ideas being seriously considered but damage your own credibility. Gotta work within the system.

3. delcoman

delcoman New Member

why at 21, do you want to stay at a 20,000 circ for a logn time?

4. JD Canon

JD Canon Guest

when you're 21, "a long time" might not be that long.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't think he ever said he was 21.
    But he did say "this is a mid-sized daily, 20K." So we know already he has no clue what he's talking about.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If you write the mission statement to your ME, start looking for your next job.

Why would you undercut your SE? What does that prove? And why make an enemy of someone you may have to work with down the road?

7. CaliforniaRed

CaliforniaRed Member

Don't undercut your SE ... just do the extra work you think needs to happen on your own.

That's probably what everyone wants anyway.

8. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

So just how broad is that brush?

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ego - do exactly what you laid out. you hit the nail right on the head. these people telling you to do anything differently are either jealous of you and are too weak to do as much at their own workplace or full of shit. give your ME your mission statement ASAP and don't look back.

you know what's going down with the business on the web. tell your ME today.

Draft saved Draft deleted