1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A "mini" stroke for Dusty Baker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yow. I hope he "manages" in spirit only when he returns and let's someone else handle pretty much everything.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2012/09/25/baker-suffers-mini-stroke/

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Doc Talk may want to chime in here but not sure 'mini stroke" is a medical term.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Much like a minor heart attack a mini stroke is a stroke that somebody else suffers.

I bitch about the guy but I really do hope he's ok. Strokes of any kind are scary business.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001743/

My wife has had several of them - scary stuff. Acts like a stroke, you don't get the lingering after-effects. But she's been told they're often the precursor of The Big One.

Don't know if this is what Baker suffered but they are often referred to as "mini" strokes.

Nothing to be trifled with, that's for damn sure.

5. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The real term is transient ischemic attack or TIA, but when my dad had one, plenty of hospital personnel referred to it as a mini stroke. Or should I say "hospital" "personnel."

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Same here. I've known two other people that have had one, in addition to my dad.

All three have returned to fairly normal lives.

When my dad had his, it was combined with some kidney problems as well. So it was hard to tell that he had had one.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Chris Speier's been handling the club day-to-day. And, what AQB said ... even though I've forgiven him for for the 2002 Series.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Tell Felix Rodriguez to throw a damn fastball inside!!! Spezio!!!! Ah forget it. I'll just keep saying Cody Ross and Lincecum, that's better.

Draft saved Draft deleted