1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Michigan man will coach Michigan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Twoback, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

God rest the soul of Bo Schembechler.
    But can we also put to rest the absurd worship of this declaration? At least a half-dozen callers to Jim Rome's show have talked about this as if it were some wonderful moment of athletic leadership.
    Well, after Michigan Man Steve Fisher took over the Wolverines and they went on to win the NCAA championship, he took over the program for good ... and then came the Fab Five scandals. An entire era of Michigan basketball had to be wiped from the record books. Doesn't seem to me like Bo had the best idea there.
  2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Agreed Fisher and Bo didn't come out of that smelling like a rose, but at the time, for that season, it was a great moment. Would that team have won the title with a lame-duck coach? I don't know, but I've got to think that in terms of morale, attitude and chemistry, it was a brilliant move on Bo's part.
  3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Michigan basketball took a hard turn the day that Perry Watson joined the program... not that it was pure under Frieder
  4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

U-M hoops was crooked as a bucket of spaghetti under Frieder. The Ed Martin express to Ann Arbor started in 1981-82, with Antoine Joubert and Roy Tarpley, and continued apace afterward.

Fisher just institutionalized it, by bringing Ed Martin's player personnel coordinator Perry Watson on board.
  5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have been a lifelong fan of Bo Schembechler and I dont feel this is pissing on his grave.
  6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Agreed, just an interesting part of his history.
  7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I remember thinking what he did with Frieder was great...
  8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

When George W. Bush dies should we not mention Iraq?

When Clinton dies should we not mention Moinca?

When Pete Rose dies should we not mention his expulsion?

When someone dies, you report on their lives. The good and the bad.

RIP, Bo.
  9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Jesus Christ... the thinskins are on the march again.
  10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

In the spirit of not pissing on the grave, would it be wrong to remember how badly Bo fucked up the Tigers?
  11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bo fucked up the Tigers because he was working under the instructions of the Ayatollah of Shiite Catholicism, Pizza Boy Monaghan.
  12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Shitty Catholicism?
Draft saved Draft deleted