1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A message from above - "Thou shalt stay single"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

2. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I'm sure the individual in question is a much, much, much better person than I am but I'd dine out on that story for the rest of my life.

3. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Forgive me Double J if I missed the sarcasm, but I don't see why this guy has to be called a schmuck. If he had planned to propose to her on the beach, which happens to be the site of many lightning strikes, would he still be a schmuck?

I can't imagine how I'd react if this happened to me. It's a real sad story and I don't happen to see anything funny in it.

AK

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Lighten up, dude.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

My brother was supposed to get married in a double-ceremony. They found his roommate dead beside his road bike. Victim of a lightning strike. The single wedding had an odd somber/joyful tone.

About 10 years later, my brother and his family were climbing a mountain when a storm came up quickly while they were still above timberline. Lightning struck my brother and another hiker. My brother's wife started CPR and his heart came back to life. The other hiker was thrown and had a skull fracture.

They were so high up that a special helicopter had to fly down from Colorado Springs and dump most of its fuel to reach them.

My brother recovered fully.

The coincidence is odd.

And, the youth soccer team he coached at the time?

They were called The Lightning.

6. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

I have just as good of a sense of humor as anyone else cran and JC, but this particular story just doesn't belong in that category. So I don't see why I need to lighten up. I'm just making a point here.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss Andy

8. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Just to be clear, I didn't lose anybody in this fashion. I just happened to read the story and watch the video and found it to be very sad.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Well, I meant schmuck as in fool, and I meant it in sympathy - but I can see where it didn't come across that way, and I apologize.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Usually God's plan is a little more subtle than this.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

ZING!

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I guess heaven needed someone who had 'hiked thousands of miles and spent a couple of years in Utah just hiking.'

Draft saved Draft deleted