1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A map of what every state reads online

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The methodology is missing from the map itself (though you can find it with a little clicking around, I think). I don't feel like digging up the link right now from where I originally found this, but here's a quick explainer on it:

1. The map only compares 40 media organizations, only 10 of which fall under the "newspaper" banner. The media organizations were chosen based on how they use bitly, how broad their appeal is and other factors that seem more to be directed at personal taste. So it's the same 10 organizations for every state in each category.

2. The map only measures bitly clicks, not total hits.

3. The map does not rank total bitly clicks but instead opts for percentage of readership measurements. So while The New York Times and USA TODAY surely are getting many more hits in Montana than SF Gate, they aren't getting as large a percentage increase from Montana.

Basically, the map is useful to tell the 40 organizations which states they do best in and what people in those states might gravitate more toward.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I've noticed on some AP tweets with links to their stories or photos, the links go to an SF Gate address. Always thought that a bit odd.

Draft saved Draft deleted