1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A lot of HELMETS!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

piss off, you bastard ... {justbackfromthepoliticsboard/}

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sorry, I was trying to bring this back a little more on topic than ? or fail....

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fail.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think it was explained to me that all these townships, areas, cities and boroughs cover Pennsylvania like litter is because they were able to receive more money from the state if they worked by themselves.

For example, if you had an area of 10,000 get $9 million or if you had 10 areas receive $1 million each, you can see which form of government would have the most money. I'm not saying it's what works the best, it's just what they have.

The same seems true for schools. I can drive on the same road for five miles and drive past five different school districts that graduate 100 kids a year. Would it be better to create one high school of 500 kids per graduating class? Yes, without question.

But when all these schools were formed, students walked to school, so the distance between them seemed much greater 100 years ago.

And to change all this? Well change and Pennsylvania are not friends.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

HELMET mania is spreading. The Tennesseean has an article with a helmet quiz (which is easy if you ready the article first).

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080905/SPORTS07/809050377/1036/SPORTS0602

It did contain this interesting tidbit.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's true, but you do still have to go through the proper licensing channels. In other words, if you are the Wildcats, you can't just slap a K-State sticker on your helmet.

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Kentucky tries just as hard as K-State!

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Out here, where the local school is all some of these VERY small towns have left, sentiment runs strongly against consolidation. Far as I know, Austin is the smallest public school in the state -- think they normally graduate around 20 -- but they'll be damned if they send their kids 15 miles to Coudy or Emporium. (And to be fair, those can both be hellacious drives in the winter, much less on a school bus.)

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Austin, kids, is out there.

EDIT: Emporium and Coudersport is out there. Austin is 15 miles away.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

No problem, Farmer J.

Draft saved Draft deleted