1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A look at the Cowboys' new stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Seems like the scoreboard in the center will get in upper-deck fans' views of the rest of the stadium. And I'd be afraid a punt might hit it. What's the rule on a punt hitting the scoreboard? How hilarious would it be to see Jones' reaction after Dallas loses a game because a Dallas punt hits that thing and shoots backward toward the Dallas end of the field, resulting in negative net yards and giving their opponent great field position for a late score.

But that field level place where the players walk past -- people are going to love that, or at least the mighty rich people who can afford to get down there.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

In regards to a punt whacking the scoreboard...
    If memory serves me correct, didn't Ray Guy once hit the scoreboard in the Superdome?

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Yes, and I believe that resulted in a rule being added that if a ball strikes an object above the field -- such as a camera wire, speaker, scoreboard or even a bird -- the down is replayed. So Rusty's scenario cannot happen.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's not called the metroplex for nothing.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Ray Guy hit what was called the gondola in the Superdome. It had speakers and what was basically a rear projection television screen, a forerunner to Diamondvision and other LCD kinda technology. He did it in a Pro Bowl game.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If I recall the story correctly, John Madden - Ray Guy's coach at Oakland - originally told him not to hit the gondola in the Superdome when the team lined up. Then he remembered it was the Pro Bowl and gave his blessing.

I wonder if Danny White will come out of retirement to put a few off the scoreboard in Dallas' new facility?

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Even though I had a poster of him on my wall, I didn't realize how unique that was when I was a kid. I'm surprised more QB's don't try to learn it, it would be a great weapon. I think Cunning ham was good enough to quick kick on 3rd down some, but on each punt to line up with a QB taking the snap would make the other team defend a fake much more seriously.

Draft saved Draft deleted