1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A little lost

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by silvercharm, Jul 3, 2008.

1. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Well, after damn near 30 years in the business, it looks like the end is coming in the form of a layoff. I figure I'll take a few weeks to regroup and refresh, but after that, I'll have to start looking for something.

Problem is, it won't be in newspapers, as you well know. Anyone have ideas as to where a seasoned journalist might think about working next?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't have any ideas, but good luck silvercharm. I'm sorry it ended this way.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Huge sympathies, silvercharm.
    Do you live in a city with a media bistro chapter? With your experience, maybe you could teach one of their many classes? The pay isn't great, but the journalism connections are worth it.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, silver. I bet you land on your feet.

Best wishes.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Good luck there, Silver. Take a few moments for yourself to be proud of spending nearly 30 years in this industry.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

One more reason to resent the hell out of this business: A lot of other jobs, if you get 30 years in, you're already walking off with a pension, reward for a job well done. Cops, teachers, military, other government jobs -- traditionally, ones in which you provide some service to the public good and don't necessarily earn big bucks. Journalism fits those last two criteria, but still leaves you with a gap until you're 55 (for a piddly pension), 62 or 65 (for slightly less piddly pensions). If you're fortunate to have a pension at all.

Sure, we all knew what we were getting into, in that department. But for a lot of us, it was nearly a guaranteed-for-life sort of job, the tradeoff you made. Now the back end terms of the deal have been forever changed, but the front end remains as chintzy as ever.

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

When I read this, I wish someone discouraged me when I got in. We ahve to do a better job of discouraging young writers. It's not worth it.

8. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

Best of luck to you.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tell me and we'll both know. Three years after my paper folded, I'm still looking for answers.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

corporate writing
    it's not so much communications - doing the pr crap
    it's putting all their gobbledy-gook into something a little less aromatic
    year-end reports, press releases, website stuff, hell, even instruction booklets
    seriously, its shocking at what level most execs and business types write.
    they think anyone who can make something interesting has magic in their fingers

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

so very sorry, silver. i hit the 30-year mark in november. love the life i've led thus far, no regrets. and i'd never, ever dissuade ANYONE from giving it a whirl. sure, the pay sucks and there will be fewer and fewer papers as time goes on. but it's still great work if you can get it.

sorry to go against the grain. i mean, i fear for my life-expectency on the job like everyone else. but i love the bizm shrinking as it is. i'm a romantic, follow-your-dream kind of guy 'cause it worked out well for me.

and when/if my career ends, if i'm not close to retiring, i haven't a clue where i'd turn. cross that bridge when it comes. i get that it's different for those starting out, but that's also when you can best give it a whirl, without family/mortgage attachments, etc., ain't it?

but job-searching is for the young, not we geezers.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Yeah, that's right right attitude to have. Whatever happened to passion?

Draft saved Draft deleted