1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A little help: I'm guest lecturing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jim Tom Pinch, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

I'm filling in at a friend's college sports writing class. My topic is interviewing.

I have lots of ideas, but there I was hoping you guys might offer some suggestions.

Thanks

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I do this quite a bit...best advice I can give you -- go with plenty of examples.

Doesn't matter if it's your interviews or other people's interviews. Should be some good, some that went bad. Students love hearing about interviews with athletes/coaches/executives that they've heard of.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Bolo ties are always a big hit.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I'd agree. Anecdotes are always good. If you have a funny story about an interview that maybe didn't go as well, that can kind of loosen up the class. It'll make you seem human and show the class that they aren't expected to be perfect every time.

My fave story is from 1995 when I was covering the beginning of the ill-fated Howard Schnellenberger era at Oklahoma. I got stuck on the press elevator after the game and was late to the press conference. I asked a question I was sure he hadn't been asked yet... Schellenberger frowned, put tobacco in his pipe, lit it, and growled, "Son, I just answered that question."

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Tell the class to not be lazy in interviewing and never ask the "Talk about" non question.
    "Talk about the game ... talk about your childhood ... talk about whatever."
    Tell them to write a few notes on a sheet of paper of questions they must get answered. It's easy to forget so they should have some crib notes to check at the end to make sure they touched all topics that needed to be addressed.

6. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Member

Talk about interviewing.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Talk about changing majors.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Good interviewing techniques here...

Draft saved Draft deleted