1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A little ESPN FAIL

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UPChip, Aug 13, 2009.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

From the front page:

"Berlin plays host to the world's best track and field athletes on Saturday. But what Jessie Owens did at the 1936 Games remains the greatest accomplishment in sports."

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

At least it wasn't Jessy....

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

The front page typo is on an editor and is inexcusable.

But this one is on Jeremy Schaap:

"That Owens was favored to win four gold medals in Berlin does not diminish the simple truth that what he achieved in Berlin stands as the greatest accomplishment ever in sports."

Owens was not favored to win four gold medals. Owens wasn't even supposed to compete in four events. But the day before the 4-x-100 relay, the USOC -- presumably because Avery Brundage, as much an anti-semite and racist as Hitler, decided it was better to let black guys run than embarrass Hitler further with Jewish kids wining gold in the relay -- named Owens and Ralph Metcalfe (the runner-up in the 100) to replace Marty Glickman and Sam Stoller on the relay team.
    Through no fault of his own, Jesse Owens became a legend because of the anti-semitism of the USOC president.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sure, just because you covered the '36 Olympics :) Good catch though.

I have a problem with that sentence structure. If he was "favored to win", it's not the greatest accomplishment ever in sports. Yes, I understand the circumstances and have great admiration. I just can't go for the hyperbole in that form. Maybe it's in part because my eyes glaze over when ESPN pulls out the "greatest" card for anything.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

ok, that's funny

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Schaap is also a little quick to dismiss what Lewis did in '84 and makes the stupid comment about him taking only one jump in the long jump "and not trying for a record."
    Does he really think Lewis -- who had to run 4 heats in the 100, 4 heats in the 200 and 2 in the relay -- was going jump more than 29-2 1/4 in the heat and humidity of Los Angeles?

If Owens had never run the relay in Berlin, no one would have cared. If Lewis -- who had talked about "doing the Jesse Owens thing" for two years prior to LA -- had not won four golds he would have been viewed as a failure.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Oh, c'mon, that one was just sitting on the tee waiting to be smacked.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Absolutely right.

The story's very, very well-known -- to the well-read.

ESPECIALLY in the proofreading, final-check department . . . experience trumps youth
    so, so often, the fight was stopped, long ago.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Are we sure it wasn't Jessie Spano?

She was so excited! She was so excited! She was so.......scared!!

[​IMG]

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And now, my next impression ... Jessie Owens.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Was just reading about that in Nazi Games by David Clay Large. Terrific book.

12. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

yet funny in its simplicity

Draft saved Draft deleted