1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A little book help?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 28, 2008.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Hey, I had "Fun with Dick and Jane"! I'm old enough to have missed "Sesame Street". :D

2. Those sure sound like it.
    Damn, I would love to see a picture.
    THANKS!

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is that one of those Very Special Books where mommy and daddy have to explain that Pugsy is off chasing cars in the sky?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You read? I figured you sat around watching 90210 and listening to Night Ranger and Billy Squier all night.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Eh, close. It's one of Miss Lippy's favorite books. It was about a puppy named Happy, who got lost, but ended up finding his way home -- despite the lack of a search effort by his owner.

One boy had a problem with it. ...

Billy Madison: Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything. He just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think, ''You got a pet. You got a responsibility.'' If your dog is lost, you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ass out there and you find that fucking dog.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://etext.virginia.edu/toc/modeng/public/GreRedh.html

8. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

They're, like, 50 cents each. Order one and see.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

GREAT book. Funny thing about a Zane Grey baseball book showing up on this thread -- one of the books in my middle school library was "The Young Pitcher." I must've read that at least a dozen times over my three years there.

As for "The Red-Headed Outfield," I found that at a local bookstore a few years ago -- third edition, $20. :eek:

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

bweaver, I wore that book out when I was a kid. Fishing trips, vacations in the station wagon, it was threadbare by the time I reached my 20s. My original was an old shitty copy I'd found at some book fair and bought for a song. My mother replaced that with a new printing a few years ago.

--
    The park seemed full of shrill, piercing strife. It swelled, reached a highest pitch, sustained that for a long moment, and then declined.

"My Gawd!" exclaimed Delaney, as he fell back. "Wasn't that a finish? Didn't I tell you to watch them redheads!"
    --

Delaney was right about all kinds of them redheads.

11. In Exile

In Exile Member

also check out flying point press, which is reissuing some old historical books for kids

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I'd love to be able to check out some of the history textbooks I used in grammar school. As I remember them, they didn't even cover WW2 -- I guess the diocese book-replacing budget wasn't as robust as it should have been.

But I imagine the books are full of now-dubious "facts" and un-PC writing. It'd be fun to look at them.

Draft saved Draft deleted