1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A little book help?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 28, 2008.

1. When I was in fifth grade we had small school library.
    It was a treasure trove of great books like the Encyclopedia Brown series and Greek mythology. Best of all, a wonderful hardbound and illustrated set of biographies of famous historical figures: Francis Marion, FDR, Ben Franklin, even Harriet Tubman, John Paul Jones, Geroge Washington Carver, Lafayette etc., etc.
    Each book was hardbound, about 30 pages long, with illustrations.The covers were each one solid color. One was red, others were blue, or yellow or orange.
    I devoured them.
    I read each one (there were probably 20 or 30) probably a half-dozen times. Those books were a huge basis for my love of American History.
    Even then (1987?) the books were old, probably from the 50s.
    A few years later the school got rid of many of those old books, including that set of historical biographies. I was away at college and was unable to buy them. Now, I can't even find them.
    I have very little information on them, but as my kids are learning to read, I would like to find copies and buy them.
    Has anyone else ever seen or read these books?
    Any idea where I might be able to: 1. Identify them and get information on them. and 2.Buy them?

While we are the subject any special books that got you interested in a particular subject or major?

2. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Was one of them on "Mad" Anthony Wayne? I read that (and other biographies like it) back in grade school in the 60s.

If I'm thinking of the same thing, were they Scholastic Books? I remember illustrations on the covers, so it may not be what you're looking for.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

My mom is a longtime elementary school teacher. I put in a call to her to see if she can help based on your description, unless someone else chimes in first. I should hear back shortly.

UPDATE: Sorry, that description didn't ring any bells with her.

4. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

As for the last part of the question, "The Movies" by Richard Griffith and Arthur Mayer got me interested in ... the movies.

American Heritage illustrated histories (Civil War, 20s-30s, World War II) got me interested in history. As did the This Fabulous Century series from Time-Life. Photos brought it alive, then came the text.

That's a great question, I hope it gets a response. Near to my heart.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Could be from the His Gallery of Great Americans series. Tubman and JPJones were covered in that series. Published in 1970s up through early 1980s. All around 30 pages. Published by Childrens Press of Chicago. Can't find any pictures online.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b/103-0901936-2277440?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=His+Gallery+of+great+Americans+series&x=7&y=15

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The books that influenced me as a kid was the "Childcraft" series from the World Book encyclopedia. The volumes had titles like "People to Know" and "Places to Know" and introduced me to historical figures in a way I could relate to. The books were completely revamped in the 1980's and lost their charm, IMO.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I'm feeling really old now because my grade school back in the Dark Ages used the "Dick and Jane" books until I reached fourth grade.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I couldn't find anything on my own. David Adler (http://www.davidaadler.com) has some beautifully illustrated sports biography books (Joe Louis, Satchel Paige, Roy Campanella) among a series of historical titles.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I read "The Poky Little Puppy" tonight. I'm guessing that's not what you're looking for, though. :-\

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Awwwww

[​IMG]

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm halfway thru myself. No fucking spoilers!!!!

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The Puppy Who Lost His Way.

Draft saved Draft deleted