1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A large chunk of roof shingles just slid off my house.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Apr 1, 2012.

1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Ding-ding-ding!!! If 30 shingles weren't nailed down, chances are, there are other problems. Good luck.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What was your closing date?

If your house is one-story, then the cost to redo this roof (this SHOULD NOT come out of your pocket) should be much less.

Great advice from type and ifilus, get your real estate agents (purchasing and selling) and the home inspector on the phone ASAP. I would also put a call into the Better Business Bureau to get that ball rolling now if you get stonewalled. Document everything you can about this problem before the one-year warranty comes up. Take pictures and email then to yourself and to the people involved. That will prove this crap did not happen after the one-year warranty period.

I would also consider paying a handyman $100 or $200 to walk through your entire house and see if they spot anything that looks wrong. If your roof was jack-legged, which it was, I am guessing there is something else wrong with the place if this was a flipped house.

Good luck, and I really hope you paid for the one-year warranty and the inspection.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/3080289/

Pulling up the original thread...

IJAGit looks like you have something. Call your real estate agent if you cannot find the papers and ask for the warrenty comapny (mine is American Home Shield) call them up and ask for your account details. They should be able to find it using a street address or other info about yourself.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Call your closing attorney and let them sort out.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Thanks, Boom.

Agent finally called back, but he's in a class until 1. He's going to call me back then. Called two companies so far to come give estimates, but left a message at one and the woman who answered at the second said she'd have someone call me back.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We had the exact same thing happen to one of our rentals and it was the greatest thing ever. We paid a $1,000 deductible and got a completely new roof, that would have cost us well over $10K.

7. imjustagirl

I don't know if they'll go THAT far, Mizz. :)

8. Mizzougrad96

Play up the, "I don't feel safe here..." You're a home owner and this is 100 percent legitimate. Make them put the best roof they can on there to replace the one that is falling apart. You're paying the deductible. You might as well get the most that you can out of it.

9. imjustagirl

OK I have even more of a beef now.

Got an email back from the seller:
    "I am afraid that; though I took the house down to the roof and four walls, I did not do the roof. SORRY"

However, on the zillow ad that is still up (though not listed for sale), it says:

"This Lovely Craftsman Style Home has been Completely Renovated with High-End Finishes. Hardwood Floors, Granite Counters, Custom Cabinets, SS Appliances, Crown Molding w/ Beautiful Finish Details! Large Master Bathroom with Soaking Tub. All new HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing, Siding & Roof. Must See!"

That's sue-worthy? I got hosed?

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

It's talk-to-a-lawyer worthy fo sho.

11. Mizzougrad96

When dealing with insurance people, a lot of times you have to throw a fit. They will throw more money at you to make you go away. Enough people say yes to the first ridiculous lowball offer that they give that there is money to throw at the people who are making their lives difficult.

12. This...
    But if you had it inspected and the inspector signed off ... :( .... Caveat Emptor.

Did you contact a handyman? You need to at least find out what you are dealing with... large or small problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted