1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A large chunk of roof shingles just slid off my house.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Call this guy.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

You can find good handymen on craigslist. Get several to come by and give you an estimate.

3. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

I'm not a roofer, nor do I play one on TV, but 30 seems like an awful lot of shingles to simply fall off of your roof. Hate to say it, but it wouldn't surprise me if the roofing job was done by the flipper himself, in which case I would want to have someone in the industry inspect the roof. If he did shoddy work elsewhere...

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

According to "Ask Art-Builder Blog" --

Q: I’ve had a few shingles fall off my roof, does that mean the whole thing is about to go? How do I know if I need to replace my roof?
    March 11, 2011 — fixing shingles, roof repair

A: No, a few shingles that have fallen off of your roof does not necessarily mean you need a new roof. It does mean that the roof needs some attention though! With some investigation and due diligence, you’ll be able to determine if you need a quick shingle repair or if something more serious is going on.

First, go outside and locate where the shingles came off. You’ll likely need to get up on a ladder to get a close look but binoculars may suffice. Are you looking at tar paper? Are you looking at wood? If you have dimensional shingles (a shingle that is textured, or laminated to produce a three-dimensional effect), are there still any layers of shingles left? Sometimes the 2nd laminate piece, which is often about 6″ wide, will separate from the base sheet, which is normally about 12″ wide. If the base sheet remains, you may still be waterproof even though the roof appearance is not consistent. If the base sheet is missing, torn, or damaged, you likely have a trouble spot. Remember, flat 3 tab shingles are single layer so when they break, tear, or blow off, you have lost your waterproof surface.

Next, go in the attic under the approximate spot and look for any signs of daylight peeping through any holes in the roof, water leakage, damage, boards turned dark, or boards bowed and/or sagging in between the roof rafters. Daylight is never a good sign, that must be fixed right away. Water damage will often show up as a dark spot on wood or a water stain on any finished surface. If you find a dark spot that is still wet or soft when you press a screwdriver into it, it means you have a serious problem that needs to be addressed swiftly. If your roof plywood has bowed or is warped due to the extreme heat that can occur in attics, a simple reinforcement of those boards may be all that is necessary. In any of the situations above, only fix what you are comfortable with and feel knowledgeable fixing. Otherwise, call a roofer. Simple repairs may become costly if not installed or performed correctly.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Thanks Spd. It is tar paper not the wood. They are the flat three-tab singles. And I'm not climbing up in my attic not only because I don't have a ladder. :D

I'm calling people tomorrow to have them come out and take a look. Thanks all. Also hoping eventually my real estate agent will call me back.

6. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I would do this first thing, and as soon as you can, get to a Home Depot or wherever and get a big thing of blue sheeting. Pay the handyman a few extra bucks and surely he can put the tarp up when he goes up to look at the roof. That will take the "urgent" out of things and buy you some time to figure out the next move.

I'd guess unless there are bigger problems involved with the roof and it's just a matter of putting on new shingles, it would be cheaper to have the handyman take care of it all, rather than mess with insurance, your time chasing down information on the roofer, a warranty that you were told about that may not actually exist, etc.

But if it's a bigger problem, I'd make sure to crack the whip on your agent to get that promised warranty information, and the place that did the inspection.

Good luck.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Yeeeeeeahhh... IJAG, I don't want to be an alarmist, but there's no fucking way thirty shingles should just slide off a roof. I don't care whether it's new or old. Unless there's a major wind storm (and even then), shingles don't just fall off in great sheets.

Are we talking regular asphalt shingles here? They should be put in with roofing nails—usually dull silver, short with wide, flat heads. (That head part is really important; it pins down the roof, which a regular spiral nail wouldn't really.)

Check the lost shingles to see if there are any of those nails mixed in there. (Again, that's if we're talking about what I think we're talking about, and not cedar shakes or clay tiles or something like that. I'm talking these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asphalt_shingle) No way those nails just suddenly give way in a rush. If he did it right, there should be four nails per shingle, if they're the ones I'm talking about.

First things first (well, after a tarp): Is there any kind of fastening device in the lost shingles?

I hope I'm wrong, dude, but I think you might need to get this roof looked at. Wonder if this fucknut used a staple gun.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Call the company who underwrote the warranty.

Have a roofer/whomever that works for them come out and check things out. Because they're a trusted partner, it'll be easier for payment/deductible and all that stuff. Sorta like seeing a doc in your network versus not in the network.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I still have to find out if there IS a warranty. :(

10. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Get the tarp up/on there soon-chance of rain there Wed.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

If your inspector missed a preexisting condition, he can be held partially liable and will, therefore, agree to testify against the seller if you seek to recover damages in small claims court.

12. To answer an earlier question ..
    No. The shingles can't be reused.

They prolly won't re-seal, plus the old nail holes will cause leaks.

Draft saved Draft deleted