1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A large chunk of roof shingles just slid off my house.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Apr 1, 2012.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Also, you should check with an attorney.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Just discovering this thread. I can't help beyond giving the same good advice already here, but I can offer a song -- a commercial jingle that had people at their offices singing every time the commercial came on. It's sort of "Up With People" meets the bean ballet of "Mad Men" meets hey, we're freaking proud of how good our roofing business is!

People look up to our roofing
    We craft each job with care
    Shingles, metal, slate or tiles
    Of quality beyond compaaaaaare

For every roof
    Or sheet metal job
    We're gonna do the best
    And here's the proof:
    For more than 50 years
    Our name's stood above the ressssssssssssst

Look up and you'll probably
    Find Cribbs Incorporated quality
    People look up to our craftsmanship
    Cribbs Incorporated

People look up to our craftsmanship
    Cribbs Incorporated!

Man, if only I could find it on the web. It rocks! It made me want to go out and buy a roof, and I wasn't even a homeowner! I don't know roofs, but I know roofing company songs, and this is the best!

But seriously, great advice on this thread. Good luck, and be a bulldog about this.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not sure if you mean illegal roofer or illegal alien, but knowing where you live, there's probably not a house within 50 miles that hasn't had a crew of the latter on the roof at one point or another. And I don't say that to make a value judgment one way or the other; it's just the reality in that area -- and many others, of course.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm guessing the latter, but it doesn't matter. It's the "without a permit" part that pisses me off.

And a crew of them is one thing. A lead guy taking shortcuts, then going on the run when he gets busted is a whole 'nother deal.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you're not, and never have been a roofer, I'm not sure it's fair for you to question the ethics of a roofer. [/journalistswhodontliketheirethicsquestioned]

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If you have a poorly-installed layer of shingles on an old layer of shingles, it all needs to come off and a new layer of tar paper and shingles installed. Any problems, if any, in the roof decking will also need to be addresses after the old roof is torn off.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well aware, oggie.

Latest news: He's in bankruptcy. :(

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd revisit the arson idea.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Irish lightnen

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

This whole thread is confusing to me. Im a lawyer and do property insurance litigation. Why exactly are you not contacting your carrier? I represent the carriers not the insurers but if you still need a good lawyer in Georgia pm me and I will hook you up with someone. I'm in Florida so I know a lot of people who practice in Georgia who handle homeowners insurance cases (if you really need a lawyer which you only need if your carrier isn't helping you).

Draft saved Draft deleted