1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A large chunk of roof shingles just slid off my house.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Apr 1, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A. Please hold off on the snark. Yes, I'm helpless. Yes, I'm stupid. Yes, I know. Just please. I'm freaking the fuck out.
    B. Yes, I know Ron would HATE me asking for advice about this. Fuck it.

Was in my house and heard a sliding noise, then like a thump/crunch. But didn't see anything out the front windows, and was in the middle of work. As soon as i was done, I took my dog out and he took off around the side of the house. Thank god he did or I might not have noticed.

There, between my house and my neighbor's, on the side of the house with no grass and that I don't walk on, is a chunk of about 30 shingles.

In my idiocy, I didn't know how to buy a house. I trusted my agent, whom I'm starting to think didn't really know what he was doing. Ditto with his inspector, who went up on the roof.

I supposedly have a one-year warranty that the seller provided. But I don't remember ever getting paperwork on it. I'm assuming my homeowner's policy will cover it. But I guess my question is what do I do now? Do I call the insurance company? Do I get quotes? I obviously want it fixed asap before one of them there spring showers that loves to pop up in Atlanta comes through.

Help me so I can start breathing normally again. Please.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Call a roofer and have him come out and give you an estimate on the repairs. Ask some friends if they have anyone they recommend.

What's your insurance deductible? 30 shingles isn't a bunch so it's possible the work would be less than the deductible. If it is, don't file a claim because your premium will probably go up if you do.

EDIT: We're talking regular shingles, right?

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Honestly, I don't where you should start. I would say with a call to the insurance company. That's where I would start.

4. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Don't call the insurance company. It's only 30 shingles. Like A_QB said, the deductible will likely cost more than to have the roof repaired out of pocket.

You can have a guy over to give you an estimate and fix it up for you probably within a couple days. Can't imagine it'll be more than $500, tops.

5. imjustagirl

Deductible is $500. My first hope is I have some random warranty out there and this is covered. But again, I have less than no faith in my agent/friend of a friend.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

IJAG, is it raining? If so, do you have a step ladder? If so, cover up the exposed spot because moisture won't help the tar paper and other materials exposed with the shingles that are supposed to be up there now on the ground.

See if your neighbors and/or nearby friends will help. If I were closer, sign me up.

If there is a one-year warranty, find it in writing. If your realtor doesn't have it - or never offered it to you - that sounds like a big problem.

7. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

The time it'll take to have your agent come over, inspect the damage report that back to his office, or whatever, then actually get a guy over to repair the damage, you'll likely have a pond in your living room.

EDIT: Agree with Sam. Ask a neighbor or a friend with a ladder and a tarp.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Try the warranty first. We had one for a couple of years after buying. Dishwasher goes out? $50 to fix. Roof begins leaking because the flashing around the chimney is loose? $50 to fix.

After that, just call a roofer. Be warned, he'll likely say you need to replace the whole thing. Check your paperwork, the age of the roof should be on the disclosures.

But, that said, it is odd those fell. They must not have been installed properly. And in that case, they might need to check the rest of the roof.

9. imjustagirl

The roof is 11 months old.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Call the roofer that did the job 11 months ago.

11. imjustagirl

Fuck if I know who did it.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

... so this could just be a fluke ... or it could have been done ultra-cheap with too many corners cut just to get it on the market.

Ugh ... given a roof less than a year old, that SHOULD have some sort of warranty involved. But is it a transferrable warranty ... or part of the homeowner's policy? While we'd like to think a place worthy of being in real estate would have the integrity to back up its work and products, that's not the world in which we now live.

Regardless ... head to a home-improvement place - be it Johnson's or Logano's - first thing in the morning to get some heavy-duty sheeting to keep the roof intact in case of one of those wonderful Southern cloudbursts. Get some help from some folks nearby ... if for nothing else than to hold the ladder and peace of mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted