1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A kid in control tower in JFK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The dad let his daughter in on the fun, too.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/out_of_control_abwevV0A4dRPBkKnVJC26K

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Controller and his supervisor on admnistrative leave until FAA completes investigation.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

From an Air Traffic Controller on another board I frequent.

The common sentiment over there seems to be "LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS"

-----------------------------------------

I think it's important to mention a few things that name redacted alluded to:

First is that the controller didn't give a mike to the kid that he might have had to wrestle away from him should anything happen. In busy units, everybody usually wears a headset and the "instructor" has the ability to override and start talking, immediately cutting off the other person.

I think another fact to keep in mind is that watching someone else do the work while being ready to jump in and fix it is actually part of what we do; it's something I've done for a fairly big percentage of my career. We 're essentially "actively controlling" while someone else is doing the work in our place, if that makes any sense. What I mean is when we jump in, we're already spooled up and ready to go.

As well, the kid issued one (maybe two take-off clearances) and mostly changed the crews over to departure. Essentially, he made no control decisions, didn't commit anybody to anything (notice how the controller himself issued the "line-up" clearances) and merely kept the ball rolling a bit.

To comment on the flying analogy: I wouldn't compare it to the russian crew who let a child take the left seat. Never, in the case of the JFK controller, was the person in charge removed from his ability to effect control on the situation. I would rather compare it to an experienced flight instructor letting his son do a couple of radio calls from the right seat, never once letting him touch the controls of the aircraft.

To be sure, a rule was broken. But, in my mind, that rule exists because there needs to be a line not to cross and that line has to be somewhere. I don't think it's necessarily a wise move on his part but I certainly don't think he should be fired for this. We don't fire controllers who disregard or violate operational procedures once, or even twice. We discipline and/or retrain them I think a letter of reprimand would be plenty. He won't do it again and neither will anybody at his unit. I'd also like to hear if he warned the pilots that his kid was about to talk on the air.

To sum up my take on it: He got caught driving at 110km/h in a 100 zone. He broke a rule but safety was, IMHO, not affected. Hopefully the punishment will fit the crime.

Draft saved Draft deleted