1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A kid in control tower in JFK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Saw this on Today this a.m. Interesting, to say the least.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/national/article/JFKGAT03_20100303-084201/328016/

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What, no "take your kid to work day" in the FAA?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Scraps is a boy dog, isn't he?

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Best line of the story, "Adios amigo." I doubt that's your usual air traffic controller verbage.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Well, that depends.

English is the standard ATC language, but if the pilot and the ATC controller are comfortable in another language, they can use that as well. And there's always some sort of "See ya" or "Good day" verbage that gets tagged on at the end.

I have kind of mixed emotions on this one. Obviously, this probably wasn't a great idea, but I think it's more a "no harm, no foul" situation. Safety is priority number one and this lacks that.

Neal Boortz was talking about this this morning. He's a pilot as well and he had little issue with it. I tend to agree with him.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. Now if they let a kid perform brain surgery or something, I might object.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I can't come up with a better way to think of the children.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Guess the kid will have to find another way to learn about sniffing glue.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The kid got bored watching gladiator movies.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm a tad torn - clearly it doesn't look good. But it is obvious dad/mom was there feeding the lines. Not like they said, "Yo, out to grab a smoke, Johnny. Bring in JetBlue171 while I'm gone."

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

According to CBS noon news in NYC, the controller who turned the mic over to his kid might be fired.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I can't say he's not deserving, but I'm a compassionate person, so I just hope he didn't have the fish.

Draft saved Draft deleted