1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A job creation plan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Aug 26, 2011.

1. J Staley

J Staley Member

Of course. That way she can create tons of jobs. Everybody will have to work three jobs. What a country!

Then the corporate big wigs can rake in six-figure bonuses for reducing costs.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

To be sure, this country needs more drunks and stoners!

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

You've latched on to this as the primary reason for high unemployment? There is a structural element to our unemployment numbers, but it's not the primary reason for those numbers.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Nope, unemployment is strictly the fault of the jobless, or that's what the Kochs and others funding tea party groups want the oppressed white middle class to think.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oops. Fucked that one up.

Companies want to grow.

Employees are an investment. In some cases, a company can grow by investing money elsewhere -- automation, technology, outsourcing, etc.

But employees are still part of the equation. Too often, it's very hard to find employees worth investing in.

And, you don't have to take my word for it. Talk to business owners. Talk to hiring managers.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Hey rice is nutritious. Just because there's some mildew in it, well, that's natural ingredients too.

7. YankeeFan

Coolies?

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Outside of that typo, I could have written that list, myself.

Also wish (without pining for or requesting a shred of charity) that business/worker loyalty was
    more of a two-way street than it is, now.

9. BrianGriffin

Yes I know your mantra. You've repeated it ad nauseam.

But businesses also want customers. It makes no sense to add staff if there are no customers. You have to address those issues first and foremost.

I agree with you that the structural aspect of unemployment must be addressed. But as a solution, it is slower than even infrastructure development because it involves re-education of adults and fundamental shifts in the education system to prepare future workforces for demand.

What impact will that have on unemployment in 4Q 2011 and going into 2012? Nadda, nothing. Not unless part of it includes stimulus for schools and financial incentives for unemployed workers to go back to school to acquire skills they currently lack...but that's your dreaded education spending and you're against that.

10. YankeeFan

Describe the plan & I'll tell you if I'm for it or not.

Too often, it get's wasted.

Many of these schools do not achieve the stated goals of training people for current jobs.

11. BrianGriffin

It's not a matter of drafting a plan here, rather it's how would you achieve the goal otherwise? And even if you don't encourage education of those who lack it and relied completely on people doing it out of their own initiative, it's still a painfully slow process, again, slower than even infrastructure development (and I'm talking infrastructure development from the planning stage, not money to hasten existing projects).

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

At least those people in Tampa are learning jobs that can't be outsourced to India.

Draft saved Draft deleted