1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Jewish Christmas Eve

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I have a Jewish friend who has his kids take pictures with Santa every year. Not being Jewish, I think it is a little odd.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes. If you really want to go back to the origins of Christmas, it was a half-pagan/half-secular holiday that Christians attached themselves to. "Hey, everybody, that festival you have every year? Keep doing what you're doing, but now it's in honor of our God."

That's a really huge oversimplification of course. Here's a perfectly reliable and uncontroversial source on this non-controversial subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#Pre-Christian_background

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

From Benny Hill:

Roses are reddish,
    Violets are bluish,
    If it weren't for Christmas
    We'd all be Jewish.

Nothing wrong with wishing people a merry Christmas. It is a kindness in a not so kind world. I presume that atheists and agnostics take no offence when people extend themselves to be polite.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

My dad was the manager of a retail store and I worked there, too, at the end of high school and during college years. I quickly adopted the "Happy Holidays" phrase to avoid offending anybody.
    And here's why: We are not Jewish, but my dad could pass for being Jewish (prominent nose, etc.). He always took his vacation in September and one time during his vacation, one of the regular customers asked for him. I told the guy he was on vacation. The guy said, "Oh good, it's nice he could take the time off during Rosh Hashana." I just laughed. I had no inclination to slap him upside the head.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And you weren't six years old. Y'all are acting like I'm the one who is bothered by it. I'm not. It's my daughter, who is six and the only kid in her class that does not celebrate Christmas. And like most Jewish kids, she just hit that phase where faith becomes a divisive force in her life and she hasn't gotten over it yet.

I never said it was rational and it is my job to get over it, but if none of you understands the urge to smack somebody who upsets your kid, you either don't have one or something is a bit off about you. It is just stunning the bullshit people will grasp on to on here.

I should be more specific. The actual incident that ticked me off the other day wasn't a simple "Merry Christmas." The woman asked my daughter something about getting ready for Santa to visit. When my little one was unable to formulate an answer, I explained to the woman that we don't celebrate Christmas because we are Jewish. The apology was quite awkward.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Here's a nice life lesson for all parents. When something happens to upset your child, you'd be wise to take a moment to consider whether or not it happened inadvertently, as a matter of course, with no malice or ill will intended. If that is the case, there is nothing wrong with explaining to your child that they don't necessarily need to be upset by what has happened.

Life is too short, folks. I think we should all look for fewer reasons to be offended and for more reasons to see the good intended in a kind gesture, even if that gesture is misplaced as it was in the case of oop's daughter.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

While ya'll protect the world from kindly strangers who ask 6-year-olds (even the little Jewish ones) what they want Santa to bring. ... A story?

I grew up in a Kosher home. My mom was pretty strict about it. My dad didn't much care, and would sneak us out for non-Kosher food. As I got older, most of my friends were Catholic and I ate whatever when I was with their families. But when I was really little, the constraints of my mom and my Kosher home totally influenced me. For Passover, my mom did the whole voodoo ritual. Cleaned the house in whatever way you were supposed to, boxed up all the dishes and brought up a special set of "Kosher for Passover" dishes that got used once a year. After that, anything that passed through the door was Kosher for Passover, and for those of you familiar with what that means, it was seven-days of hellish meals. I always hated that holiday, in particular.

Every year, Passover falls right around Easter. Inevitably, some kid, or my teacher, would send me home with gobs of Easter candy every year, and my mom would not only not allow me to eat it, she would make me throw it out because it was chametz -- not Kosher for Passover.

Talk about torturing a 6-year-old.

I somehow survived. It sucked. But I survived.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

yep

9. KG

KG Active Member

My friend was a nanny for a home with a Jewish father and a Catholic mother. I bet each of their parents just loved that union.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Bet the kid brings his lawyer to confession.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I am Jewish, have been since day 8.

There are pictures of me as a kid sitting on Santa's lap. It didn't prevent me from being Bar Mitzvahed at The Wall in Jerusalem.

I love wishing people a Merry Christmas and I find it's more and more appreciated every year.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What were you on days 1-7?

Draft saved Draft deleted