1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Jewish Christmas Eve

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

I love Barney Stinson's take on the Dreidel Song, which can be seen at the end of this video clip. :D

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Work on your reading there, tstumpf. Hell, I'm more surprised when somebody thinks to wish me a Happy Chanukah than Merry Christmas. I take it as it was meant when somebody says it to me. My kid, however, is at an age where it bothers her. If you can't understand the urge to smack somebody that upsets your kid, even if they just meant to be nice, you are clueless.

Of course, I don't really blame them. People assume everybody celebrates Christmas. I get that. Doesn't mean I have to like a sad look on my kid's face.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Just polished off a dinner of spare ribs, hot and sour soup, moo shoo pork and chicken with eggplant. A Jewish Xmas treat.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

It's never too early to remind the Jewish kids they get hanukkah presents for eight days....the unfortunate Christmas kids only get one day (assuming they're not into that whole geese a'layin thing).

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

21, we do that. I don't think it is even a matter of thinking Christmas is better, at least for my kid. Little kids want to be included, and she is the only child in her class who does not celebrate Christmas. Well, that and pop culture kinda shoves it down our collective throats every year. It helped that we let her put up winter/Chanukah decorations this year. But no tree and no Santa. Ain't happenin.

6. KG

KG Active Member

Santa really has nothing to do with Jesus, so why not do the Santa thing?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So you can't see that wishing a 6-year-old a Merry Christmas when the family doesn't celebrate Christmas would cause some issues?

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Happy Holidays is still honest-to-goodness pleasantry, without the self-centeredness of thinking everyone celebrates as you do.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I grew up Jewish. With a mom who took the religion even more seriously than most Jews who aren't hassidic. I somehow managed to navigate being wished Merry Christmas when I was a kid, even though my family didn't celebrate the holiday. It's so not the end of the world. Kids figure it out.

It's a Christian world--at least in the U.S. The sooner a kid gets used to that, the sooner they are getting used to a reality. There is nothing wrong with that. It's up to the parents to deal with that fact and make whatever religion they do practice special for their kids. It's just unrealistic to expect to the rest of the world to be sensitive to something like this. It is not going to happen and you are going to walk around angry and making people wonder why you have a stick up your ass, when all they were trying to do was send a good wish your way.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's still gotta be tough on young kids.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It shouldn't, for those who aren't just looking for a reason to get pissed.

And while the family may not "celebrate" Christmas, the holiday exists for EVERYONE. The kid ain't going to school that day, and the parents likely aren't going to work. So it IS a holiday, no matter how you choose to spend it. So enjoy it, have a merry one and lighten up, people.

Life is rough on young kids. Or it used to be, before "disappointing" one became a federal crime.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If your family doesn't have some weird issue that makes you feel different from the other kids, you aren't growing up properly.

Draft saved Draft deleted