1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A. Jaeger - I lost '83 Wimbledon final on purpose

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This may be on Wimbledon thread but I thought it deserved to stand on its own smelly merits.
    I call b.s. but it certainly is interesting.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/tennis/story/10887862

2. nafselon

nafselon Active Member

Martina was going to thoroughly whip her ass anyway so it's not that interesting. Jaeger had no choice in the matter, no one was beating that Martina at that stage in her career. If she wasn't completely distraught...maybe she loses 6-1, 6-3.

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I call b.s. too. She threw the match because she interrupted Martina's preparation? From her description of the events it sounds like she didn't even get the time of day from her.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Apparently Jaeger wanted to remind everyone who she was.

She doesn't have a book coming out soon does she?

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She interrupted her preparation? She was at the kitchen table. What was she preparing? Dinner?

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

It's not like Martina wouldn't have beaten her anyway.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So Martina merely glancing up at her "ruined" Martina's preparation for the final, yet a huge blowup between Jaeger and her father didn't affect Andrea?

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The Denver Broncos would also like to admit they lost that Super Bowl to the Niners on purpose, and Duke's admitted to throwing the 1990 title game against UNLV (and you thought it was UNLV who'd blown the 91 game on purpose). The Bills's first Super Bowl loss to the Cowboys? On purpose.

And the Generals threw their game against the Globetrotters on December 4, 1984 in Sioux Falls.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Last I heard, Andrea was studying to be a nun. Is she one now?

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

Story says she became one in 2006.

11. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

If you're gonna throw a match, wouldn't you want to lose 6-0, 6-0? Or at least throw up the doughnut in the second set, not the first?

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

I think Jaeger has claimed this before. I seem to remember a HBO Real Sports from a few years ago where she at least implied it.

Draft saved Draft deleted