1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A.J. Green = Not so wonderlic

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Mar 18, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

All a receiver has to do is remember the playbook and the hot reads.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

My initial reaction to that is that if you're bad at school, you probably double down on something you do like, whether it's playing hoops or playing guitar. (I imagine a lot of the world's greatest musicians were horrible students.) To combine this with some Malcolm Gladwell, if you're not going to school or studying as much as other kids, it's easier to get that 10,000 hours of mastery in.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There are book learners vs hands-on learners, but there are people who are just plain dumb. Not many, but there are some.

NCLB, and most standardized tests, ignores hands-on learners.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Kind of pissed. The link was to the answer key. I went to the home page so I wouldn't read the answers just by skimming the rail on the left. When I saw so many people posting scores I figured there had to be a way to find the test.

It was at the bottom of the answer key. Similar link, not the same.

Test:

http://walterfootball.com/draftwonderlic.php

Answers:

http://walterfootball.com/draftwonderlica.php

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And now that I've taken it, I join the party at 42.5. I missed the one with the pages (didn't feel like doing that much math after work), I missed the letters and I missed 20 because ... I'm stupid?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's why these kinds of standardized tests are kinda stupid. If you know the trick to the pages question, it's not that much math at all. If you don't know the trick, you are going to waste a lot of time trying to do the math. Most of the questions have some kind of trick, and the tricks can be learned.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I kind of assumed that thinking of the trick is part of the test though. Also, did everyone else just go from 1 to 20 on this? I skipped around and did the easiest ones first, then double-backed for the harder ones when I realized I had time left...

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The blue font indicator was on there, at least a little bit.
    Got an athlete who can't pass a test? He's not dumb, he just has a learning disability! Give him as much time as he needs and a tutor to help him!
    It applies to society at large, too.

That said, I'm sure some of the stupidity is caused by coddling and letting these guys slide and all the other socioeconomic factors people love to point out when this topic comes up. Based on the number of people on this thread who are skipping the math questions, I dare say if no one ever pushed us when we were in school we'd be lucky to have passed basic algebra.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Scored a 42.5, which includes marking my answer for No. 10 wrong. I had the same answer as the graphic designer did. Maybe I should get partial credit, which would then mean I got a 45.

Draft saved Draft deleted