1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A horrible way to start a Monday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well, I don't want to hijack the thread so I'm just going to say this and be done with it. Vick serving time was not the right punishment for him considering that in some cases, drive-by's and rich people who can afford high-powered lawyers get less time for killing humans than he did. I think he should have had to commit to a lifetime of public service for humane shelters and the like.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yawn,

Bottom line. Mistreating animals the way he and his pals did is a crime.

Hitting a dog or deer or skunk that wanders into the road is not a crime.

Failing to check on a dog, deer or skunk you hit is not a crime.

Otherwise, I think you've got it nailed. But you might want to read Juliet Macur's piece in the NY Times about the Vick dogs and how they are doing these days to see if you might change your mind.

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I've heard some are being rehabbed, but those dogs will never, never be safe around kids.

I'm not saying it isn't a crime, but it sure as hell shouldn't be on the same level as the taking of a human life.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This story tore me up.

6. GoZags!!

GoZags!! Member

Me too.
    And your wife was with you? :(

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't automatically say the truck driver didn't care. You don't know that the guy wasn't pretty upset a mile down the road. He probably knew that dog vs. truck wasn't going to end well, but like you said, unfortunately there wasn't any way out of that situation.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

She was crying as soon as it happened. And kept crying for another five minutes.

She said that was one of the worst things she'd ever witnessed.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I remember when I was a kid, we had a beagle who would run out the door whenever he could.

One day a neighborhood kid who was lifeguard at the local pool knocked on our door to tell my mom that our dog had run out in front of his car and he had run it over.

I was about 8 or 9 but I really respected him a lot for that. That took guts.

10. Inky there's nothing you could have done. Honk your horn and he darts the other way. Get out of your car (like you did) and he'll run the other way. Shout, "go home!" and he'll stare at you with a clueless look.

Unfortunately he was probably going to get hit no matter what. Once dogs get on a busy street...well, you know now.

Don't tear yourself up. You tried, at least. That's more than what most did.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Just think that God needed a pet.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Sometimes that line is really inappropriate.

Draft saved Draft deleted