1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A horrible way to start a Monday

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Giving my wife a ride to the office this morning (her car's in the shop) and we see a puppy running down the street. It's a mutt. Black and brown fur mixed. Maybe weighs 10-15 pounds. Can't be more than a year old. No tags, not even a collar.

It's headed right for a very busy street in a semi-industrial and commercial area. Even though there are traffic lights, they're about two-three miles apart. If you're doing 40 (the speed limit) you're getting passed.

We get in front of the dog at the intersection, stop and yell for the dog to come to us. He angles away from us, into the right-hand lane and trots out into the intersection. A big white truck hits him.

I watch the dog bounce off the front axle, and then the rear axle. He's spun and flipped and lands on his side, raising his head and kicking his little rear legs. We watch him die in the middle of the intersection. And the truck that hit him never slowed down.

So now I'm pissed. I'm angry at myself for not doing more to keep the dog out of that intersection. Maybe if I'd done more, he'd be at the animal shelter right now. I'm mad at the driver of the pickup, for not even slowing down after he hit the dog. And I'm worried some kid is going to be without their dog tonight.

Anyway, shitty way to start a Monday.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: Watching a puppy get hit by a truck

That sucks, Inky.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

What sucks is that you had to share that story. Jesus Christ, man, WTF?

4. Inky_Wretch

Considering all the other personal shit shared on here, I figured it would be a good place to get it off my chest.

Sorry.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

I understand, cathartic and all that. I'm just gonna be upset everytime I read "Watching a puppy get hit by a truck" while I'm surfing the site.

6. Inky_Wretch

True, I couldn't think of anything else.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Two questions:

Does that make the truck driver as evil as Michael Vick?

If you had a choice between hitting a puppy and considerable damage to your car and perhaps injuries to you or someone else, would you dodge the puppy? And this from a guy who has two animals.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dammit. I thought this was a new thread. I had to relive the puppy's death, and now I'm out of kleenex.

And, yawn, even if you hit the dog rather than swerve (which may be the right move), you still can stop and check on the dog.

9. Inky_Wretch

1. Obviously not.

2. He was going about 50. The dog ran out in front of him. He couldn't have done anything. If he'd tried to swerve into the open lane, the right side tires would have crushed the dog. But the sonofabitch should have come back to the scene. He should have had the fucking decency to see if there was tag and called the owner. There wasn't a tag, but you can't tell that looking in a rear-view mirror at 50 mph.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Unless, which may be the case here, the man didn't give a shit. Which again, does it make him as evil as Michael Vick? Should he have to serve, say, three days in jail for involuntary manslaughter?

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I mean, if he didn't give a shit, doesn't that exhibit a similar disregard for animals that Vick had?

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My sympathies Inky. I can't imagine how sick I'd feel if I saw that happen or if I hit an animal myself.

By definition, the chump who hit the dog isn't as evil as Michael Vick. Vick has a special place reserved for him in Hell for his deliberate role in the brutalization of all the dogs who had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not stopping after hitting an animal is a problem unto itself. Jerk.

Draft saved Draft deleted