1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A homer vote for McFadden?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, Dec 5, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

if it makes you feel better, my ballott was smith, mcfadden, johnson

i got an email from the guy doling out the heisman votes in my state asking me not to divulge my vote before the announcement, and, well, despite doing it here, i can respect that, sorta

i'll put it on my beat blog after it's announced. not that there's much drama this year -- hell, the announcement of the invitations will be more dramatic than the actual ceremony

2. I went Smith, McFadden, I. Johnson as well.

Nice work, hoops.

(Y'all don't know who I am, so I'm not divulging irresponsibly.)

3. scribbler

scribbler Member

I went Smith, McFadden, Quinn. I debated -- briefly -- whether to make McFadden the top pick.

Also, I know Scott Cain. He's no homer.

No, I'm not Scott Cain, and I don't cover the SEC, but another BCS conference.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that Smith is the obvious choice, but he's not the best player in college football. He's not the best quarterback in college football.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I didn't see McFadden until late in the season (I think I saw him against LSU, Florida and one other team), but damn, he's a helluva back. Quite a game-breaker and I'd be willing to bet he has a much better NFL career than Smith (not that that has anything to do with the Heisman).

That Felix Jones kid is pretty good, too.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

This is what gets me - if, to you, Smith is not the best player in the country or the best QB, then why is he the obvious choice for an award which (falsely) puports itself to be given to the best player?

7. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

it's too bad we have to worry about being perceived as a homer. Are the Ohio State beat writers not allowed to vote for Troy Smith? Of course not, because that's the "right" choice.

This pack mentality is why the Heisman is so predictable every year.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

Fixed.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Anybody who rips Cain for voting for McFadden must not have seen McFadden play. The guy is a freak. He'll still be in the NFL when Troy Smith is back in Columbus selling insurance.

If I had a vote I'd vote for McFadden too.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Obvious as in best offensive player on best team. Doesn't mean its necessarily the right choice or a thoughtful choice. But it's an easy choice.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I got a strange call a couple of days ago. About an Arkansas sportswriter, since you work in the newspaper biz, everyone thinks you know everyone else, anyway,a guy I know moved to Fayetteville to do computer work for Wal-Mart and he's dating the ex-wife of one of the coaches. He was wanting to know if I had heard that one of the writers there, whose name I won't divulge, was dating or sleeping around with the mother of the freshman quarterback, Mustain.
    Dude might be married, I don't know, but I will say it wasn't Cain.

Draft saved Draft deleted