1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Home Improvement Thread (Sans Tim Allen)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 2, 2009.

1. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Those steamers are beasts, but they work. Hint: wear long pants, or else the rubber hose will inevitably burn your legs. I Digress is right, it's always a trip into hell to strip wallpaper, especially if it was put on without washing the drywall first, or with the NASA-grade glue that was used in my house, and made it damn near impossible to get off. Good luck.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Another suggestion (if you have the money & time): instead of stripping wallpaper down to find an old lath and plaster wall, just take out the wall and put up a new one using drywall.

Just make sure you're not taking out a support wall. :)

My very first apartment (other than university, the second and third story of an old house, had godawful wallpaper in the living room, hall and the bedroom. Spent two months stripping the damn stuff but hey, I was only 21.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I gotta think this is the original wallpaper — or at least only the second covering.

The people who sold the house to us are in their late 80s. And they are the original owners, who had the home built in 1988. And, from what I can gather were CHEAP!. They have the original carpet still! I'm crossing my fingers.

4. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i love suing contractors!

5. I Digress

I Digress Guest

oh, then the wallpaper isn't hung correctly....have fun! :)

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'm late to this party but I'd love to know how the wallpaper stripping went. I was a wallpaper stripper for a summer job back in high school. Some days it peeled right off the wall. Some days it drove me absolutely fucking insane.

Warm water and soap in a sprayer. One of the Tiger claws. Chip in at a seam with a putty knife and pray that it peels smoothly.

Draft saved Draft deleted