1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Home Improvement Thread (Sans Tim Allen)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

if you have an IKEA near your house, I recommend the laminate flooring they have. I love it, and it's very cheap.

Since you're a new homeowner, be prepared to spend money on things you never even realized. I'm in my second house and everywhere I look it's something we want to tweak.

You won't get to it all at once, or all in the first year. So don't try.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Yeah, we already have a priority list. Stripping the wallpaper and repainting is No. 1 and new floors are No. 2. We can afford both — we budgeted for that no matter what house we bought.

After that, the list consists of things we do at our own pace and live without.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Painting is a nice, cheap way to completely change a room for the better.

And don't worry about taking chances on bold colors. You can always paint over it.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I just put down the faux wood floor laminate. It was a 14x24 room. Took two days. But it looks pretty good.

We considered bamboo. But it was like $5 per sq foot.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yikes...

6. Pete Incaviglia

That's nothing. The top-ranked hardwood floor, according to Consumer Reports, is a bamboo and it lists for $7.50 a square foot.

7. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Have fun stripping the wallpaper! If it's been up for a while, that stuff can be seriously stubborn.

8. Pete Incaviglia

I'm assuming it's original, from 1988. And I'm renting a steamer from Home Depot. Other than that, not much I can do.

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Score the walls with a 'tiger' and apply a remover such as Dif before steaming.

If the walls weren't sized before the wallpaper was applied you are in for a tough go.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Pete, don't be shocked if there are multiple layers of wallpaper underneath. Our house (built in the late 1940s) had several layers of wallpaper in each room. Finally, after spending damn near a week trying to strip all of it in one room, we slathered on the Kilz and painted over it.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Stripping wallpaper is almost, but not quite, as bad as a trip to hell......laminate is pretty easy to install, from what I've heard, and it looks great. If you decide to tile anywhere, make damn sure you get one you love because if you don't, you'll want to change it and never will.
    I'd kill for some bamboo though..and I want cork in the kitchen. Checked that out? It's awesome.

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

My dining room has three coats of a Kilz-type (one that could be tinted) and two coats of paint.. but you no longer know it's wallpaper under there. I tried stripping a little and dinged the crap out of the wall....

Draft saved Draft deleted