1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A high-character guy calls it quits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Jan 7, 2016.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

But more to the direct point of this thread: For those who left, I wouldn't describe it as a character thing. I would describe it as self-interest, after balancing the merits of the options; getting away from the bile being rained down; stuff like that. I doubt "Based on principle, I am leaving Penn State" came up too terribly often.

2. dooley_womack1

As for the thread title: I would say maybe "High fortitude guy" for trying to overcome the injuries.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Ok, it was in Redd's best interest to leave and it was in Brendman's best interest to stay. Character had nothing to do with any of it.

4. dooley_womack1

I'll buy your last sentence. As for the second, I don't know if was best interest or no one else of note would take him with his injury issues.

And we'll have to agree to disagree on Redd. Whose football career is being derailed by injuries, too.

5. cranberry

Any advisor with Redd's best interests in mind would have told him to get the hell out of there, especially when the NCAA waived the transfer rule. He was an NFL-caliber talent coming off an excellent 2011 season and had two years of eligibility remaining.

6. dooley_womack1

Who would have been in a spotlight with a lot more candlepower. Again, who got the most media attention that year: Penn State or USC? A thousand-yard season there, which was possible if he was "NFL-caliber," might have gotten him drafted

7. cranberry

USC was ranked No. 1 in preseason that year. Penn State was banned from playing in a bowl game. And he was coming off a 1,000-yard season so sure it was possible.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If the NFL likes you, the NFL will find you, whether you're rushing for 2,000 yards at Penn State or 300 yards at a JUCO.

9. cranberry

Maybe that cliche has a shred of truth in it, but in Redd's case transferring to the No. 1 team in the country was clearly a more attractive option than staying at Penn State or transferring to a JUCO.

10. Dick Whitman

I'm responding to the argument that he would have somehow benefited from the "media attention" at Penn State. Silliness

JackReacher likes this.
  11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Is everyone who transferred "low-character?" Need the OP to clarify, since you can't have high with a low.

12. Dick Whitman

I'm so glad the Penn State football program redemption story has finally arrived. For joy. And don't drop that soap.

Draft saved Draft deleted