1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A hero story from the VA Tech tragedy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zimbabwe, Apr 18, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know I would've pooped my pants and not been as brave as many of those people were.

2. Nobody fucking knows what they would do in a situation like that. Nobody.
    And as for zag, as complete an intellectual coward as has ever infested these boards, well, I leave to it to anyone with reading skills greater than those of the average ficus to deal with him.
    And he is a sexist. But he's a uniquely stupid one, which makes all the difference.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Actually, it is a question that was asked of the Jews for decades after the Holocaust and a question many Jews asked of themselves. That question is at the heart of the Israeli/Palestinian issues.

Never Again, is the modern day motto of a modern Israel and of the Jewish people. Never again will we be lined up passively to be shot, gassed, creamated and robbed of our humanity. Never again will be removed from our homes and occupations, never again will be forcably seperated from our children and murdered like diseased cattle.

Does that question get asked in this instance before the 1st body is buried? Not by rational people, but among a community of journalists and media that rush a psychopath's rationalizations for mass murder into the public consciousness, it is par for the course. Showing pictures of an asshole with his guns, posing as if for the cover of a rap album or movie poster, is as insensitive and invalid as Boortz' inopportune comments.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Ya know, the jackoffs like Boortz are the same people that always we all have in our lives when some assault like a mugging takes place. If some thug ever sticks a gun in my face I'll know exactly what to do because I've had great training from about a dozen friends, family and random retards. Wanna good laugh? Tell someone you got mugged. People will come out of the woodwork to tell you what THEY would have done had they been YOU. "Man, I'll tell you what, someone ever puts a gun in my face I'm gonna take it from him when he's not lookin' and smash him in the face. That's what you gotta do. They're BANKING on you being a pussy and just giving in. You show just a little resistance and they'll run like a scared poodle."

Riiiiiiiight.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

No clue, because it's easy to say what you'd do from a work chair in front of your computer compared to a classroom with a gun-toting crazy on the verge of breaking in. Like in theory, I'd think about picking up a desk and throwing it at the dude when he broke in. But in actuality, I'd probably be lucky if I had the foresight to jump out of the window in time.

6. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

A few people have responded to that question, and that's fine, but I was directing it specifically to zag, who has yet to answer.

I don't know what I'd do, but it's ridiculous to say what someone should have done. The guy caught everyone completely off-guard, was firing with two guns, and the amount of time he was actually in each classroom, while it probably seemed like an eternity, was actually probably a minute or two.

Sure if five guys charged the gunman at once, one them might have been able to get to him unscathed and wrestle him to he gound, but there wasn't time to formulate any plan, because while you were trying to do so you would have gotten shot. And so if one person decided to rush him (as one of the profs apparently did) you got shot and killed. While it's nice to think about ourselves as being capable of Rambo-type acts, the smartest, and probably only, way to survive was to play dead, jump out a window if possible or just be lucky enough that he didn't pick your classroom.

And again, and I don't think this can be stressed enough, none of the reports I've seen have 25 students lining up to be shot execution style.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nice rote comeback to Fenian's quip after Double D kicked your ass all over the place.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh yes, he kicked my ass, he sure got me with his knee-jerk, emotional whining - which is what this board is -- let's not try and remove ourselves from the emotion, let's just shout any dissenting voice down and act like we are accomplishing something.

Where do you people come from? I mean you all have this little online cyber gang and you spend so much time kissing each other's ass that I wonder if you also give each the pleasure of a reach around as well.

My God.

I will say it again, I was in the cafeteria at my job and a bunch of news side people -- all of whom are like Fenian Bastard and would probably try and argue that Ralph Nadar represents mainstream America -- were having this exact conversation -- how did one guy mow down 50 people in close quarters.

I shut my mouth and ran back to my desk.

9. zagoshe

And Fenian - - you forgot racist, bigot, hate monger and homophobe.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Just so we're clear, I have not read that this guy "lined up" anyone.

11. zagoshe

And to answer that question -- what would I have done?

I don't know and I don't think anyone could --- but that doesn't make it an unfair question to ask.

And the person that tried to compare this situation -- where there more than 100 people college aged and above, most presumably strong and healthy capable of fighting back -- to the little girls in the Amish school shooting, that's plain silly.

If you don't know the difference and why certain questions do or don't apply, than you aren't smart enough to be in this discussion.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

They were JUST as capable... because the killer HAD AN AUTOMATIC GUN.

What, do you think it is a fucking cartoon.... where a bomb blows up in your face, it gets black for five seconds, and then you are normal in the next moment?

Your stupidity (or worse) is offensive.

Draft saved Draft deleted