1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A hero story from the VA Tech tragedy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zimbabwe, Apr 18, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I stopped reading this after the first graf. Fuck Booritz (or how the fuck ever you spell his name).

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

People still listen to that slapdick loudmouth? Must be more bedridden and housewives in this country than I thought.

3. I think I tried to make this point last week.

4. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

The point I made in an e-mail sent to Boortz:

I've got a deal for you. I'll pay for your airfare, your lodging, your ground transportation and your meals to Blacksburg, Va., if you'll join me in visiting the Montgomery County Hospital to confront the surviving victims of the Virginia Tech shootings and ask them why they were complicit in the "wussification of America" by failing to bum-rush their would-be assassin. (As a trained journalist, I'll be there to take notes and record the questions and answers for accuracy's sake.)

I'm sure someone with your sense of professionalism and journalistic integrity has solid principles to go face-to-face with those you criticize. Any sportswriter worth his salt, for example, who chastises a player has the decency to show up in the clubhouse the next day to answer to his criticism.

Of course, it would be the ultimate irony if the blowhard who blasts the victims of the deadliest shooting rampage in history for their cowardice fails to even respond to a simple invitation to justify his position. The wussification of talk radio, indeed.

[Name redacted]
    [Address redacted]

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

If you look at what the guy actually said -- he used the phrase "wussification of America" to describe the left wing media people who want to throw a fit over every word that someoone utters that they deem hurtful and/or offensive.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I apologize for getting carried away with my mini-rant earlier. Was uncalled for here.

Mr. Librescu also lived through a not-so-free Romania until coming here to the United States. If he were Catholic, he'd be a great saint.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Beautiful post.

As mentioned above, this week marked Yom Hashoah--the annual remembrance of the 6 million Jews who died in the holocaust.

Six million, who would today be the parents and grandparents of 20 million.

How many at V Tech were saved by Librescu, so they could live on to become parents and grandparents? A survivor who died so others could survive.

Yasher koach.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

This is just fantastic. Fuck that guy. That said, Boortz will fall back on the "I'm not a journalist. I'm a talk show host." line

9. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

"How far have we advanced in the wussification of America? I am now under attack by the left for wondering aloud why these students did so little to defend themselves. It seems that standing in terror waiting for your turn to be executed was the right thing to do, and any questions as to why 25 students didn't try to rush and overpower Cho Seung-Hui are just examples of right wing maniacal bias."
    -- Neil Boortz, April 18, 2007.

I think his point is crystal-clear. But way to play the part, zag, of Nolan Ryan to Robin Ventura's straw man.

10. Ya beat me to it, lino.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I weighed in on this on the original thread during the presser when the kid from Radford asked what could possibly be the worst question I've ever heard.

But DD, you did it angrier and better.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

How the hell does Neal Dickslap Boortz know what went down exactly? Was he there? Know what we and the reporters and the cops all have in common? None of us know shit. We weren't there. We're going off of witnesses testimony along with where the blood splattered and the bodies landed. Want proof, count how many times an article says "according to." Means, "I wasn't fucking there, but this is what this asshole says." Neal's as clueless about the events of Monday as the rest of us. Fucking dolt.

Draft saved Draft deleted