1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A helpful guide for many ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Uncle.Ruckus, Jun 26, 2013.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Alphabet boy left? Meh. He'll be back. He's done this before. Still, a shame to see Care Bear gone.

I mostly agree with IJAG. There's no reason for ill will toward people who leave. I'm not sure about old school SportsJournalists.com's ability to cut people out so easily, because they certainly tried with me and I'm still here. People leave when they want. I stayed mostly because I'm insanely stubborn.

Regarding Dick's little dig at ruckus, let me first say that I am clearly biased on the subject given my disdain for that particular poster. That said, I think it was appropriate to have a little fun showing ruckus a mirror in response to his initial post on this thread.

(To be fair to ruckus, the cartoon is funny stuff and I'm glad he shared it.)

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's a shame a good thread was ruined by Dick's unnecessary comments.

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

The chart would have been better without the cat.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

24 consecutive hours? On 4chan (presuming you mean /b/)? I do not want to know what that would do to a person's psyche. They'd be more beast than man.

5. RickStain

I don't want to start a new username, but I'd kind of like it if everyone called me Dickfinity from now, cool?

Also, I thought it was common knowledge that SportsJournalists.com is an internet game where the win conditions are getting someone to quote you in their sig, getting someone to ragequit the site or getting someone to challenge you to a fight.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Jesus. What is this? Fucking high school?

7. It took more than 10 years of posting here to realize that?

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is a message board on the Internet. In theory it's a message board targeting sports journalists. It's not a whole lot more than that.

I miss a lot of the members who have left in the past two years. I'm sure I would miss several who left before I arrived. I don't understand nor do I need to understand the reasons some of those people made their decisions. They're not relevant.

It's easy to look back at a time in the past and extol it as some sort of beacon of great message boarding. I enjoyed this place a lot more even a year ago. It seemed funnier then. But we all evolve, and the community in which we coexist evolves with us. And there's this endless temptation to determine that the status quo is shit. And maybe it is.

But maybe this board is where we need it to be at this moment. This board is where we are at this moment. We control it, after all. (Well, we control it until chrismba descends and destroys all of us, sending spirits and souls and user names into oblivion. But we're not supposed to talk about that.)

I get frustrated sometimes because I know people are posting below themselves. But what the fuck do I know? We're here and posting. Others aren't. We change our patterns and habits so that this board suits what we need. We adapt and evolve together, for better or worse. If MankyJimy is going to set the agenda, then today's his day to sent the agenda. If it's LongTimeListener or Dick Whitman or Uncle.Ruckus or imjustagirl or dooley_womack1, then so be it.

It's funny how we all try to blow off every attack as though it's meaningless, as if being above this place is important to our self-actualization. There's nothing wrong with forming an emotional bond with a website you've posted on 1,000, 10,000 or 50,000 times. We care, even when we don't want to admit it. That's what draws out the flames and the wars.

Mostly, this board is us. SportsJournalists.com, like Soylent Green, is people. A little self-reflection never hurts, but mostly we need to keep being ourselves. There's no right way to post on a message board, and there's no right way to leave a message board, and there's no right way to join a message board, and there's no right way to feel about a message board.

If the board's worse off now, we either deal with it and adjust our own expectations and posting habits or waddle in frustration. We've all been called things worse than a liar or an escape artist or a troll. But that doesn't mean those things are meaningless. None of it is.

So this is a message board on the Internet, theoretically targeting sports journalists. It's not a whole lot more than that. But that's enough to keep us coming back, until it's not.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

And per usual, your reading comprehension sucks. :D I said IF we could have controlled who posted here or what we wanted the board to be, it would still be that core group posting stupid shit because we all loved each other even when we hated each other.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This might be the first back-to-back 489-word slash 1-word posting in SJ history.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. RickStain

tl;dr

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted