1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A headline that should shame everyone involved and which disgusts me...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by imjustagirl2, Oct 31, 2007.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Talk about opening yourself up to a libel suit... if the Gloved One ever caught wind of that hede.

Then again, it has more money than God. I doubt it really would care.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

From the Morris Web site, this is the only executive that has his e-mail listed on there. Maybe it's time to send them some messages.

Morris Publishing Group
    Craig Mitchell
    Senior Vice President of Finance
    Morris Communications Co. LLC
    706-823-3236
    craig.mitchell@morris.com

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That's great--looks like Mr. Senior Beancounter is about to get bombarded in his inbox.

I can almost picture the WTF look when he (or more likely his admin) open his e-mail.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

I didn't get the reference either - maybe if it was something like Thriller.

I think Roasted Nuts was worse because that was cruel and insensitive. This was insensitive and stupid. This was a sting and the headline made no sense in relating to the story, although that is the least of the problems.

How you could have editors who would allow this is beyond my comprehension.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Regardless of the insensitivity factor, if you are going to use a Michael Jackson reference, you can't stoop to a 20-year-old B-side single. I didn't know what the hell smooth criminal was, either.

6. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Awful headline. No class response.
    I doubt if the Post or the Daily News would use that headline in a situation involving a grown man stalking a 14-year-old girl.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't doubt it at all. But it is apples and oranges.

8. Sly

Sly Active Member

Man, how awesome is it, though, that a B-side single was such a kickass song?

9. hotrobber

hotrobber Member

References to dated music almost always miss the mark.
    Even if it was "ABC," how many people younger than 30 would know the song well enough to relate it to a headline?

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

You're surprised?

I mean the paper is a Democrat!

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I remember when this paper was the unofficial repository of double entendres.

One visiting team was playing a local team and the visitors had benched its 6-foot-5 quarterback (named Johnson) in the first half for an unspecified rules violation.

But when the coach "inserted the big Johnson" in the third quarter, things changed.

Good times, 1995 style.

Draft saved Draft deleted