1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A headline that should shame everyone involved and which disgusts me...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by imjustagirl2, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Another reason why the headline stinks: Naturally, it only uses "Jackson," a damn common name. But the "Smooth Criminal" allusion only works in regards to "Michael Jackson" and few people automatically think of Michael Jackson whenever they read the name Jackson. If it was a more distinctive name -- Springsteen, Sinatra -- then maybe you could go with just the last name and make your little joke.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Heck, no need to ague the fine points. The guy is dead and the dead can't sue. It's not even that easy to sue for libel on the behalf of a dead person.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What a ridiculous play on words/name. You don't joke about rape in the news. Period.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

How you know this is a horrible, horrible idea: You'd get blasted for making this joke ON HERE!

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

1) Didn't get it.

2) Once it was explained to me, it was completely tasteless.

This is the kind of headline you run on a Michael Jackson who gets caught in an air-conditioning duct while attempting to burglarize a Burger King and is still there for the cops when the store opens the next morning. Not this.

So it was the ultimate no-win: obscure, and tasteless for anybody who got it.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Too bad the girl he assaulted wasn't named Billie Jean.

*If I knew how to use blue note, this is where I'd use it.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

There is a time and a place for "witty" headlines.

A story about a near sexual assault of a child ain't one of them.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Especially considering some jackass rock band did a fairly popular cover of it like three years ago. It was like the No. 1 song in these united States, sadly.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah... There are certain stories where you don't need to try to be cute or clever...

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

In defense of myself on the song, the bar I frequent morphs from neighborhood dive to place where kids -- compared to me -- hang out later at night, and I'd bet a lot of money that I've heard this song a number of times before.

However, like Woodward in All the President's Men, "I don't know titles."

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was about this...
    [RiShawn's] Biddle's blog entry was titled, "The Indianapolis Black Democrat minstrel show," but it was originally called "Coons for Power."
    It was in reference to local black leadership. Biddle is black by the way. He also got fired for his trouble.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071101/LOCAL/711010537

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Somebody needs to be fired like yesterday. Total horseshit.

Draft saved Draft deleted