1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A headline that should shame everyone involved and which disgusts me...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by imjustagirl2, Oct 31, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

From the Log Cabin Democrat in Conway, Ark., I present first of all a story of a man named Michael Jackson who was arrested for internet stalking of a child. The completely tasteless headline?

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/103107/loc_1031070001.shtml

Now, I know people from this area. There was a high-profile case in this city where a 13-year-old girl was kidnapped by a 47-year-old internet predator pretending to be a 17-year-old. He took her, broke her glasses, left her shoes, drove her to a storage unit, raped her, shot her dead, then took his own life when the cops showed up.

Am I the only one disgusted by this headline? After the obligatory "Roasted Nuts" headline post, please let me know if I'm wrong here.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Re: A headline that should shame everyone involved...

At first glance, I laughed. I couldn't help it. But once I actually read the story, it became abundantly clear that this isn't something you want people laughing about.

You aren't wrong here. You don't get cute with stories about creepy men stalking children.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

The Log Cabin Democrat is a piece-of-shit rag. I've read it quite a few times.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

This paper has problems -- a lot of problems; and this headline isn't close to the worst, but it's pretty damn bad.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm not being a smartass here..honest. But I don't get the headline.

Other than the guy's name is Michael jackson.

Please explain to a senior SportsJournalists.comer.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

One of Michael Jackson's hits was Smooth Criminal. So not only is the hed in poor taste, it includes a 20-year-old pop-culture reference.

7. NX

NX Member

From someone who is close to a person sexually abused as a minor for several years, that headline is completely tasteless. Headlines and stories that deal with this need to be played straight. There is no room for being cute.

8. I would be firing several people for this one.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I hope whoever thought this was clever tore a ligament patting him(or her)self on the back.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Job opening! [sniff sniff sniff] Is that a job opening I smell! [sniff sniff sniff]

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Do. Not. Work. There.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus.

Was never a Jackson fan but that is worse than horrible.

Are the editors brain-dead at that rag?

The senior, culturally illiterate SportsJournalists.comer is signing off. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted