1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A harbinger...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zeke12, Aug 8, 2006.

1. I"m not so sure Santorum will lose. Casey is a weak candidate, and Rendell came out and basically endorsed Santorum the other day. His poll numbers have recovered substantially in recent weeks. In his past elections, he always looks to be in trouble but always comes back to win. I'm not saying he definitely will win this time, but he should not be counted out by a long shot.

(And if he does wiin, he has Rendell to thank.)

As far as Lieberman goes, Connecticut also has a precedent for electing independents. Lowell Weicker was elected governor after he bolted from the GOP.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Rendell has his own problems. Gambling in PA has turned into a disaster. The rules were so loose some guy made his 5-year old owner of a license to distribute slot machines (I kid you not). I really believe had Rendell had an opponent with any kind of real political experience, he'd lose. Lynn Swann is finding out in a big hurry that maybe 1 or 2 counties give a flyin' you-know-what that he used to be a football player.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

But Lynn's a Stiller. Doesn't that mean he'll carry southwest PA?

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Voters in Pa. know Swann didn't deserve the Hall of Fame. What shocked me was when Richard Petty got trounced in the race for secretary of state in North Carolina a few years ago.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Richard Petty ran for office? It's only 12:53, and I've already learned something today.

Maybe he should have gone for transportation secretary.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Not in a Democratic area. You would not believe the lack of energy and buzz in his campaign around here.

7. dooley_womack1

He lost to a female Democrat. I would have bet my life savings on him winning. Can somebody with knowledge of that race please tell us how King Richard lost.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

He received fewer votes than his opponent. Pretty simple to me.

;D

9. dooley_womack1

Thank you, Mr. MOTO. ::) More detail than that, if someone could.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Richard Petty convinced trounced to run for secretary of state in North Carolina?  :D

11. dooley_womack1

Well, bobblehead was running for dogcatcher in Minot, N.D., at the time, so what other choice did Petty have?

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The political details are fuzzy (no political aspirations here ... notice how active I am on those threads) but Elaine Marshall beat Petty. And she's still North Carolina's Secretary of State. For chrissakes, any other NASCAR figure could get write-in votes, yet Petty couldn't win an election in which he really mounted a campaign.

Draft saved Draft deleted