1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Great Story From Outside the Lines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dirk Legume, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=willows&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

I thought it was anyway. This is my neck of the woods, I knew about these kids and still didn't know all of it.

'Bout halfway through, I started to cry. My daughter was in the class of '07. It just really hit home.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I too enjoyed the read. Stories like this make up for some of the other crap that appears on espn.com

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I finished it about 10 minutes ago. I'm still crying.

Fantastic story I had known nothing about until that link. Thank you for sharing, Dirk.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

outstanding....sadly...

5. Dirk Legume

One of the things that got to me is that my daughter played at least one sport at Willows high every year. They weren't in the same league, but they would play preseason games against each other. Her first travelball team was full of kids from Willows. I could have passed any one of these kids on the way into the gym, or getting back on the bus...it's just scary.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A well-written story. Took me a long time to finish reading it. I kept having to take breaks to calm myself down.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

ESPN gets a lot of crap, mainly because they are on top, but the OTL series is almost always must-read material. Everyone involves deserves major props.

8. joe

joe Active Member

A very well-reported story. I thought the reporting was better than the writing, but the writing was pretty good, too. Amazing that so much could hit such a small town.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I've got one more section to finish.

Had to stop because the gamut of emotions I felt became almost unbearable.

Anyone know if the guy who stabbed those two kids has been sentenced?

10. Dirk Legume

KY,

He has not yet been sentenced. the last I knew, after being found by police in a shirt that had the victims blood on it and admitting that he had seen them that morning, he has since said he blacked out sometime the night before and remembers nothing from that day.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

heartbreaking

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Dirk, that's fucked up. I hope he gets what's coming to him.

Draft saved Draft deleted