1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a great read ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I have chunks of stories like that in my stool

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

It's a business acumen story. I get it.
    Problem from the get-go, the analogy used in the lede is diamonds, or more specifically, investment in diamonds. The diamond market is never a good business analogy and will lead to false conclusions. It is a controlled market and not susceptible to fluctuations like other traded commodities (i.e. gold). Diamonds don't follow any model or paradigm.

3. I thought that was a press release.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I covered the Dodgers when Sax came up. He was a nice guy, but a blockhead. His idea of fun was calling a bar and asking for Mike Hunt.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. I missed the brilliant parallel in that article. Steve Sax made millions PLAYING on a diamond. Then Steve Sax kept his millions INVESTING in diamonds.

Man, it's right there in the second paragaph. So subtle, yet so extraordinary.

6. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me? This article was written on Aug. 28, 2006! Why are you posting it now??

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Send it over to the Workshop. Woulda been nice to hear from one other source.

YD&OHS, etc

9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

That's the line that did it for me. I slammed on the brakes and jumped out of the car at that point.

10. Now that's someone who read the piece closely.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Agenda-suspect . . . on so many levels.

Draft saved Draft deleted