1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A great read

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Grohl, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Grohl

Grohl Guest

It's long, and has nothing to do with sports, but I enjoyed this so much I thought I'd share:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html?nav=hcmodule

Great Sunday read, in my opinion. Fun, but also thoughtful and thought-provoking, well-reported and well-written.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Thanks for this, that was a really good, fun read.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That was an interesting study.

Also the second time in two days I'd seen that Hopi word (Birdscribe also used it on my Brook thread). Weird.

4. Babs

Babs Member

Very well-constucted piece. There were surprises all along the way.

And it made me cry. Wow.

I've got a long feature to write today, and this was great inspiration. Thanks for posting.

5. mcwritermm

mcwritermm New Member

Enjoyed that immensely over my daily homemade mocha. Thanks for offering it up to those of us who wouldn't be into the Post every day.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's an extraordinary story.

And while this story was great in the newspaper, I'm sure, note the possibilities that new media present. Because it's enhanced a lot by having that video of a few of the scenes described placed right in the text where that description occurs. That's great, great stuff.

7. had two emails early this morning linking me to that piece

absolutely wonderful

superbly written

uplifting and sad at the same time

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Bravo, Gene Weingarten.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I wish they'd showed the part with Evan, the kid.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That was outstanding. And a fascinating read. Thank you for cluing me in. Never would have seen it without this board. It's one of the reasons I come here!

11. andykent

andykent Member

Excellent piece. Quite revealing. My wife talks about this all the time, how rushed our society is, and we have a 3-year-old who is pretty observant as well.

Thanks for the link. Any idea how we can see the full video, or the other parts he talks about?

12. Grohl

Grohl Guest

Don't know about seeing the full video. The Post appears only to have posted the clips within the article. But the site says Weingarten is doing a live online Q&A about the article at 1 p.m. on Monday. Maybe he'll say more then.

Draft saved Draft deleted