1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A great, great new Nike commercial

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by tonysoprano, Aug 11, 2008.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I actually liked Marvin's version. I've got no problem with people personalizing the anthem here and there. Most of us probably hear that same song 300 times a year.

However, why the hell would they do 150 seconds of nothing but practice shots? Whoever else said it is dead on -- they do it w/ other sports, too, and that video looks a hell of a lot better.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Nope... best ever was around that same time though:

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Marvin's is probably the only version of the anthem using pre-recorded backing music I've ever liked.
    The only drawback: it led to horrors like Whitney Houston's (and worse).
    May this year's Super Bowl performer just sing it a capella (or playing his/her own acoustic guitar or piano).

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

See, that one pisses me off. You are to stand and face the flag and sing along or shut the fuck up.

Any time some yahoos are playing to the camera or screaming over the national anthem, it sucks. Period.

5. SigR

SigR Member

Absolutely disgusting commercial. Way to make a mockery out of something that stands for something (the anthem).

A gigantic "Fuck you" for every musician who thinks they are special enough to twist the anthem and a huge "Fuck you" to nike for once again glorifying something that does not deserve glory (Multi-millionaire, endorsement-driven athletes playing in the olympics).

6. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Wow, we got some charged up people on here.

A few thoughts - 1.) Yes, I love the Nike commercial about Tiger with Earl narrating. I'd put that above this. 2.) It's not just "another musician" singing this. Marvin Gaye's a music icon (and we'll just agree to disagree with your perspective on him jacking up the anthem), 3.) I do see your views on using other athletes. That would've been very cool.

I still like this commercial.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it a long-standing tradition to do this at all Blackhawks games? And bulls too if I'm not mistaken.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup. Intimidated the hell out of the opposing players. The hockey guys always said that if you could get through the first ten minutes, you'd be OK

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Like Big Tony said, it's not just anybody who personalized the national anthem. It's Marvin fucking Gaye. He didn't make a mockery of the song. He made it his.

It was sung at an NBA all-star game, yes? So that, along with the backstory about Coach K playing it, explains the hoops only angle. Though it would've been just as easy to put some shots of the women in there as well.

10. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

Thank you DD....

Marvin makes anything cool.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't give a fuck who sings it. Marvin Gaye, anyone....You fuck it up when you turn it into a re-mix. Just sing the fucking song and get out. Christ.

And I completely agree with IJAG about the Whitney version being the best ever. I'm convinced that those who disagree with this are unAmerican. Deal with it.

I'm only half-joking about the unAmerican thing. :)

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

By a million miles.

Draft saved Draft deleted