1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A great column on "Check your privilege." By a college freshman, no less.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is a group in America that isn't succeeding, for which we look back multiple generations for the root cause. I wonder which group that might be.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There isn't. There used to be.

Groups don't succeed (or fail) today. This is 2014, not . . . :D

Individuals do.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dick, I asked, "what is required to be "equipped" to give your child a chance to know how to work hard to succeed," and didn't get an answer.

Seriously? What's required?

And, I said, "if you do everything in your power to make sure your children succeed, it's a good bet that they will."

Do you disagree with this?

Because my basic premise is that it doesn't require much for you to put your child(ren) in a position to succeed.

If we have the wherewithal to put our children in a position to succeed, then why the focus on generational history? Is it really relevant?

And, as far at that foes, the minority students by-and-large have an extraordinary amount of privilege themselves, don't they?

If you look at our First Family even, Columbia and Princeton grads respectively, they each had extraordinary, loving parents/grandparents who raised them, and gave them the opportunities that they seized upon.

4. Good enough conclusion to get a job with the Heritage Foundation.

5. Dick Whitman

Yes, minority students are extraordinarily privileged in America. Between dodging bullets in the way to school and getting their crackhead mom's help with schoolwork, life's a beach for them.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How many of the minority students at Princeton have crackhead moms?

7. Dick Whitman

Of course not. See my first post here.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Did Steve Jobs whine about being called "privileged"? What about Donald Trump?

It's easier to take chances when you have a safety net of a computer genius partner or a rich daddy. For those who don't have a safety net, it's a lot harder.

Princeton Boy's grandfather didn't have a safety net. He was lucky to be alive and built his business. But did he whine about how hard it was to do so? Nope. Unlike Princeton Boy, who is living off his ancestors' sacrifices and then whines.

10. Baron Scicluna

What's required is a number of factors: talent, hard work, background and luck.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That WAS his safety net. As was stated in the story, his rationale was, "I escaped Hitler. What's to fear about a business failure?" You treat every layoff as someone's life being "ruined."

And you know that . . . how exactly?

You're real big on "it's easier when . . . " and "it's harder when . . . "

But it's not impossible.

For all his "advantages," Jobs was still booted from Apple. Baron Jobs would have just cursed his fate, blamed someone and flipped burgers. But some people aren't afraid to start over and make history, instead of sitting around and waiting for someone to give them a paycheck.

12. Baron Scicluna

How do I know his grandfather didn't whine? From what Princeton Boy wrote and you quoted. The guy wasn't afraid to start his business because he had already survived the Holocaust. Unlike Princeton Boy, who's upset that people assume he's privileged.

BTW, Jobs wasn't "booted from" Apple. He was demoted because he was too hard on his employees and given an office he called "Siberia".

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/steve-jobs-fire-company/story?id=14683754&singlePage=true

He then quit, which you can afford to do when you're a millionaire.

Shit, give me $32 million like Craig Dubow got Gannett for his parachute, and I can quit my job, take some risks and start another company too. Instead, I got a few few weeks of severance that wasn't even actually severance, but only a supplement to unemployment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.