1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A graduation gift

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jun 4, 2008.

?

What should I get my stepsister for her high school graduation?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2008.
  1. A $25 Target gift card

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. A $25 Starbucks gift card

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Send her cash

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. Send her Texas gear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My stepsister graduated from high school last weekend, and, unlike her older brothers, she actually talks to me, so I wanted to get her something.

Her mother is uber controlling and really doesn't like any of my father's children. I really wanted to give her money so she could spend it on herself, but I'm concerned her mom will take the cash and put in some sort of college account.

Sort of the same thing with the Target card. The mom might pressure her into spending it on stuff that Kate doesn't want or like.

So since I turn her for all my advice, what would you get an 18-year-old who's off to Texas A&M in the fall.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

An orange UT sweatshirt?

3. sportschick

My last stepmother did that for my 16th birthday. Might be why she's technically not my stepmother anymore :D

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Mani and a petti

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I hurts me to my core to say this, being the UT mom that I am, but I would go for some A&M stuff. But is it also possible to slip her a giftcard to Target without her mother knowing? You could use the A&M stuff as a "cover" gift for the real gift of a giftcard so she can get whatever stuff she needs once she gets there. Sneaky, I know.

I didn't vote, since I want to vote for two of the options. ;D

6. Samson

Samson Guest

If she likes Starbucks, go with that.

She is 18 years old. It's her prerogative to spend a gift from her stepsister however she chooses.

7. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I voted Target gift card, but only if you think you can get it past the wicked stepmother. Can't go wrong with a Target gift card.

8. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I also like the Target gift card.

9. sportschick

I like the Target gift card. I'm just concerned about her mother making her use it on stuff her mom thinks she needs.

As for the Starbucks card, child kept me in coffee last time I was down.

10. Call the dorms at A&M and see if there's any way she can move in early.

11. sportschick

Dude, I'll try, but I'm not sure I've got enough pull to get her in early. :D

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'd say the Target gift card...just make sure she stays outta the snack bar.

These days, a gas card wouldn't be the worst idea, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted