1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A good reason why a lot of smart Americans are getting turned off by the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Aug 18, 2006.

1. That was enlightening. An arm of the government releases all the "secret" testimony it wishes for political reasons -- no problem.
    Two reporters use some secret testimony to expose the truth and we should be more concerned about their source than we are about the truth.
    Let's take a looooong look at that little picture, hold it up, examine it, inspect it.
    The big picture? Aw, who cares about that stuff?
    The president should be thanking them publicly, as should MLB.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Federal case. There is no federal shield law. Slight difference.

3. No question that the two are different.
    If the point is, you can get away with it here, you can't get around it there is probably a 10 second discussion having to do with this sheild law, that shield law etc.
    But if the discussion is about the big picture and what journalists in America are supposed to do, count me with Mark and Lance.
    I'd like to see the newspapers representing the other point of view -- keep the truth out of our stories.
    Oh, wait. They're everywhere and growing like a plague, I forgot.
    THE DAILY TELEGRAPH -- All the News We Know Won't Get Us In Trouble

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

blackmuddyriver,

Allow me to sound entirely insane, but what is being jailed if the truth and the protection of that source is so holy? The Apostle Paul was jailed again and again. He died in jail under crueler and more unusual surroundings than today.

A lot of reporters stand around braying "I'd go to jail, I'd go to jail" when the next breath out of their mouth is "but I shouldn't go to jail..." Contempt's contempt, crime's a crime. Protect your source, go to jail, and feel the squeeze of the truth in a minimum security work program prison with petty thieves and drunk drivers. Not the first time "truth" was punished.

As a secondary argument, I'd suggest that the overuse of anonymous sources - in news and sports and even the fucking arts sections - has hit epidemic proportions to the point where, now, reporters are quoting other reporters as "people close to the situation" or "speculation says..." Any time, for example, some college needs to hire a basketball coach, and seven names appear in the paper the next day, rest assured, it wasn't the AD handing those names out. A lot of times that was just random consensus among reporters who genuinely have no idea. In sports especially, half the news is embellished in some way, shape or form because nobody bothers to go on the record and indeed reporters see no need for the record at all.

It's sloppiness. We're not in Watergate anymore, and, for God's sakes, even Watergate wasn't Watergate. We have a press that's skilled about writing about some minor hotel break-in and Monica Lewinsky's thong riding up her ass, but we have two people in the whole nation even remotely talking sense about the Bush policy in Iraq. You've got to go to fringe magazines on both sides of political aisle to find some genuine (if slanted reporting) while the mainstream sucks the teat of blogs and the columnist rundown off Drudge. We got a sucker media, if you haven't noticed, and a lot of that is wrapped in the bullshit, lazy reporting done, which, at its greatest effort, involves kneading a government leak to transcribe the story to you.

I'm not suggesting these reporters haven't done good work, or compiled evidence, or done their homework. They have, and should be commended. But the reason it wasn't done until some former track athlete got the ball rolling, and the FBI wanted to tell the media its story, is because the baseball media, in 1998-2002 was busy dicking around and waxing poetic on the great resurrection of the national pastime from its death at the strike.

Listen to the radio. What do you hear all day? Specufuckinlation. Not interviews, not breaking news, but some jackass pontificating on whether Carson Palmer is or is not in a rift with his coach cause he didn't play the second preseason game that shouldn't exist anyway because starters get hurt, so let's have today's question be: When will the NFL get rid of preseason?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Are you Jim Litke? :D

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Damn. Other than "kneading," Alma has a post I would be proud of.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

dyepack,

I meant kneading just as I wrote it. As in the leak is dough journalists press into a cookie called anonymous info.

8. Somebody seems to have lost his/her place. When Alma says:

"As a secondary argument, I'd suggest that the overuse of anonymous sources - in news and sports and even the fucking arts sections - has hit epidemic proportions to the point where, now, reporters are quoting other reporters as "people close to the situation" or "speculation says..." Any time, for example, some college needs to hire a basketball coach, and seven names appear in the paper the next day, rest assured, it wasn't the AD handing those names out. A lot of times that was just random consensus among reporters who genuinely have no idea. In sports especially, half the news is embellished in some way, shape or form because nobody bothers to go on the record and indeed reporters see no need for the record at all. "

This is making my argument. It is a reach waaaaay too far to even suggest these things in a discussion about the work of Mark and Lance. The work they did is classic stuff that could stand up against the best journalism in newspapers over the last 50 years and should be protected in a country that is supposed to have a free press, which is the issue.

Of course there's abuse, especially in sports, of the use of "sources." Much of that is being eroded by a coporate/business model emerging in newspapers that sevitaleks to defend institutions and individuals in power while avoiding any reporting that might offend anybody. We are timid and shallow, publishing for the purpose of attracting business at the cost of journalism.
    There's a giant chasm between the unfettered use of sources in speculative sports stories and the vital use of sources as represented in the Chronicle stories that stand as the personification of what newspapers are supposed to be.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

man, a double bummer. First you get the movie, then you assume Salisbury has credibility.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Re: A good reason why a lot of smart Americans are getting turned off by the med

I just got around to reading the column in question, and although I agree with most of your points in a general sense, Alma, I think you missed the tone of Marriotti's column. I thought it was actually more tongue-in-cheek, essentially poking fun at the notion that seeing great golf instead of a Tiger/Phil brawl could be considered disappointing. His last graf, in which he admits to instinctively following the hype most of the time, indicates that he gets it. This is one case in which Marriotti doesn't deserve the criticism he's getting.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Actually, I think he's trying to have it both ways and play both sides against the middle, which most cynical of all. Mariotti means both sides of his arguments, just like he means it when he nails somebody to the wall, and he means it when he takes them off the wall and puts them on his shoulders.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Re: A good reason why a lot of smart Americans are getting turned off by the med

He's windsocking as usual.

Draft saved Draft deleted