1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A good reason why a lot of smart Americans are getting turned off by the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I wish this was the only column that read like this yesterday. But it wasn't.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay18.html

To sum up - this columnist, and many others, actually claimed frustration at three well-played golf rounds featuring men acting like friendly adults.

Pundits and columnists - especially this guy, who talks as an authority on absolutely everything - should tread more carefully in years to come. There will come a tipping point where lots of Americans - not just homers, but intelligent, reasonable people who quite enjoyed the round yesterday and weren't particularly saddened that no "controversy" surfaced - will say to hell with it. They'll turn off all the talking heads and start tuning to team-owned media outlets that tell them absolutely nothing but sunny BS. That's how far idiots like this could push readers, sooner or later.

The bottom line is: There doesn't need to be a flashpoint every day. There doesn't need to be a missle of opinion screaming across the sky. There doesn't need to be histrionics, psychosis, or, for God's sakes, APSE award winners taking their shirts off on Around The Horn. What happening to some of these people? Have they really all become so drunk on this little machine they can push to get their food (which, in this case, is to pop off on whatever the news is of the day) that they forget they're opinion automatons, but people making triple figures to write?

2. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I couldn't agree more. Wojo's column on ESPN read like he was appalled at the fact.

Why can't these two guys be OK? Even if they're faking, why not embrace that, especially with the Ryder Cup coming up? Couldn't it be a case of, these two fucked up in the last RC, and they're attempting to make amends for it this time around?

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: A good reason why a lot of smart Americans are getting turned off by the med

Swell post, Alma.

I note as well, pursuant to our earlier thread concerning the (mis)use of pop culture reference, Mr. M's allusion to GTA in his leaden lede.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: A good reason why a lot of smart Americans are getting turned off by the med

What a piece of crap. Geez.

Though the column did make me wish that Tiger or Phil had taken a 3 iron to Mariotti

5. North61

North61 Member

That column was a piece of shi*t. Mariotti is an elitist f*ck.

I wish this was this was the case. I mean, how long has Sean Salisbury been allowed to spew garbage every night on ESPN and claim he's an expert. I'm sure every Viking fan is nauseated to hear analysis from a decidedly average player who had 19 TDS and 19 INTs in a 4-year career. It's sad enough ESPN hired that clown, even sadder he remains on the air. I guess people like an idiot screaming/writing about made up issues/flashpoints - maybe it's entertainment.

Just noticed he's tagged as a columnist on ESPN.com. How is this possible? And it's on Insider. Sure glad I dont' pay for that service.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I have had the great misfortune of seeing the movie "The Benchwarmers" and Sean Salisbury's in it. I must admit - I'm very surprised it wasn't an issue with ESPN, given the character he plays, given that he's in it at all. It casts real doubt of his credibility. I'm surprised no one's asked him about it.

Let's put it this way: Were it politics, his participation in a such a sickening film would make him George Allen right about now. You're talking about a guy who climbs up on his soapbox every other day to rant about integrity, and he agrees to play a guy who has, for lack of better phrase, a gimp living with him, and enjoys (God I hate saying this) twisting the nipples of his fellow coaches.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It was a nice movie for the kids, though. Training for baseball by bashing mailboxes with a baseball bat and all. Very educational and inspirational, not to mention the gay jokes and nipple twisting.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The conundrum lies in Alma's headline....'smart Americans.'

'Smart' sports fans can appreciate a pair of rivals enjoying a Thursday golf game. The rest of the fans--the majority--want their news with sizzle and pop.

It's the majority that keeps the mariotti types in zegna neckties and big contracts. The smarter fans know how to change the channel or read something else.

9. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Mariotti is at road-mishap levels. The only reason I read him is because he's like a car accident. I slow down because I want to see how ridiculous and disheveled it is this time around.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They were bringing in the Jaws of Life on this one.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What did people expect, Woods and Mickelson to slap each other with gloves or something? These guys are gazillionaires; no need for them to hate on each other.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Then I should change the headline. I'm seriously doubting that most regular fans were disappointed that the No. 1 and No. 2 players in the world played excellent golf, put themselves in contention, and acted like professionals.

Bottom line: Spinning this into a negative story - and Marriotti was hardly the only one - is the kind of thing that turns off, well, smart and dumb alike. It's a false construction from beginning to end. Everybody I spoke to after reading some of these responded: "It was pretty great golf to me."

What I'm beginning to notice is sports columnists and pundits developing their arguments almost entirely on false platforms. The idea, for example, of asking when Jay Cutler, who has played one preseason game, will take the Denver Broncos. Not if, but when. It assumes not controversy, but knowledge. Journalists are peddling speculation as "I know this to be true," and eventually, the public sees through that. Smart, dumb, you name it.

This BALCO deal is another deal. Bottom line: Some guy leaked grand jury testimony, it's patently against the law, and if the law wants to force reporters to be responsible for telling who leaked, and the reporters want to go to jail, fine. But don't tell me they can't go to jail, or shouldn't. Don't have a guy like Lupica blathering on about these two reporters doing a "hymn" to all reporters, and then saying Jason Giambi shouldn't be protected by a grand jury because he did steroids and he has to tell the public about it in a press conference. Uh, no, he doesn't, just like Lupica doesn't have to talk about any possible drug use that may have affected his writing performances, good or bad.  

Again, a false construction: Athletes owe us contrition and confession. No, they don't. What are we gonna do, turn the Fourth and Fifth Amendments on their heads cuz they hit baseballs? There's no legal standard for it. There is, however, a legal standard for leaking grand jury testimony, the penalty is stiff, no matter the supposed "good," and if the penalty is imposed, should be paid until the reporters name their source.

Sooner or later, the sports journalism version of Fox News will waltz along, call all these mainstream reporters liars, make up their own lies, and set fans on that course called "zero enlightment."

Draft saved Draft deleted