1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A good read on Priest Holmes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Jimmy Pips

Jimmy Pips Member

Herm Edwards had nothing to do with that? Who drafted Page? Who decided to make Page, a 7th round pick, a starting safety in just his 2nd year in the league?

The only justifiable reason why Carl Peterson would get even the slighest shred of credit for the Chiefs much-improved defense is the fact that Peterson hired Edwards. The majority of KC's starting defense was either drafted by Herm (Page, Bernard Pollard, Tamba Hali), signed with KC because of their relationship with Herm (Ty Law), or were targeted and signed because they fit the Tampa 2 scheme Herm brought to KC (Nap. Harris, Alphonso Boone). Even though he fits, I won't count Donnie Edwards in the latter category since KC probably would have signed him again regardless.

Only 3 of the Chiefs' defensive starters were on the team before Herm took over. Peterson deserves credit for listening to his coach and getting the players he wanted, but he did the same thing for Dick Vermeil (signing crops of free agents in 2003 and 2005) and Vermeil's defenses were still terrible anyway.

Trying to act like Herm Edwards had nothing to do with their turnaround on defense is downright laughable. He's the reason for the turnaround.

2. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I'm not saying that Herm doensn't trust Huard. But he's not exactly Brady or Peyton is he? Under Vermeil, sure when they needed to run some clock, they would let Green throw the ball a bit. It was because he had two HOF linemen, a HOF TE and a RB who was in the middle of one of the greatest stretches for a RB in NFL history. Plus, Green wasn't too shabby himself.

I understand the frustrations of being a Chiefs and Royals fan. I was at Arrowhead for the Montana Magic win over Pittsburgh during the 1993 playoffs. I've been to games each season since I was a kid. I thought for sure the 1995 season and/or 1997 season was THE one. Fuckin' Lin Elliott ... fuckin' BS holding penalty on Greg Manusky ... fuckin' BS no-touchdown call for Tony Gonzalez. It sucks. And I still don't have high hopes for this team. But at this point in time, the Chiefs are 4-3 and alone in first. That's good enough for me right now.

As for the Royals, new era, new regime. Always brings hope. I think Dayton Moore is calling most of the shots with the players he wants.

Keep the faith HH. It's part of being a fan. And if/when the Chiefs/Royals win it all (seems pretty illogical right now, doesn't it?) it's going to make true fans like you and me that much happier.

3. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Older KC fans (like me) get misty remembering 1969 (Chiefs) and 1985 (Royals) seasons.

I can die happy with memories from those two years. Anything else would be gravy.

I still root feverishly for both, but am content knowing each franchise was the absolute freakin' best at one point. Think how many fans never get to witness their two teams reach the pinnacle.

To me, what Buck Buchanan, Willie Lanier, Bobby Bell, Len Dawson.... and Bret Saberhagen and George Brett conjure up in my mind are far beyond anything Larry Johnson or Mike Sweeney can muster.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Funny story about those 1993 playoffs. I was in a mall in Portland, OR, 5,000 miles from home, all decked out in my trusty Royals sweatshirt and cap. I walked into a store with TVs, only to be met with the line, "You're losing, dude." I couldn't bear to watch.

I almost changed shirts and ditched the cap before walking into another mall, but didn't. I was, however, moping a bit -- until some old guy sitting on a bench says, "They really pulled that one out, didn't they?" Which sent me scurrying for another shop with TVs.

Heard the Oilers game on the headset on the plane flight back to Orlando. Got an entire bunch of airline passengers excited for the Chiefs -- if only for a say.

Then they blew chunks at home against the fucking Bills. Damn.

Oh well. You're right, KC, maybe in a year or two the Chiefs (and maybe even the Royals) might be on the brink of something great again.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And it's a final for Priest Holmes:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7474036?MSNHPHMA

Draft saved Draft deleted